Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Les Dawson - Lugubrious Lancastrian
Techsurvivors > Welcome to Techsurvivors > Community
Sylvi2909

Les Dawson - Lugubrious Lancastrian

Les Dawson (born 2 February 1931 in Collyhurst, Manchester, Lancashire, England died 10 June 1993) was a popular English comedian, known for his deadpan style and curmudgeonly persona, and famous for jokes about his mother-in-law and wife. (From - Wikipedia

I upset the wife's mother on Guy Fawkes Night. I fell off the fire.

I was lying in bed the other morning, playing a lament on my euphonium , when the wife said softly, "Joey". She calls me Joey because she always wanted a budgie.

She said, "I'm homesick." I said, "But precious one, this is your home." She said, "I know, and I'm sick of it."

A letter came from the bank. I could tell it was from the bank, as it was written on a wreath nailed to the front door.

His best-known routines featured Roy Barraclough and Dawson as two elderly women, Cissie Braithwaite and Ada Shufflebotham. Cissie had pretensions of refinement and often corrected Ada's malapropisms or vulgar expressions. As authentic characters of their day, they spoke some words aloud but only mouthed others, particularly those pertaining to bodily functions and sex. No respectable woman would have said, for instance, "She's having a hysterectomy." Instead they would have mouthed, "She's having women's troubles." (Dawson's character, of course, mistakenly said "hysterical rectomy.") These female characters were based on those Les Dawson knew in real life. He explained that this mouthing of words was a habit of millworkers trying to communicate over the tremendous racket of the looms, and then resorted to in daily life for indelicate subjects. To further portray the reality of northern, working-class women, Cissie and Ada would sit with folded arms, occasionally adjusting their bosoms by a hoist of the forearms. Many of the Cissie and Ada sketches were written by Terry Ravenscroft. This was also typical of pantomime dame style, an act copied faithfully from his hero, Norman Evans, who had made famous his act Over The Garden Wall. (From - Wikapedia

CISSIE: "Leonard took some lovely photos... He's got a big polaroid"
ADA: "Ooh they can be painful - does it affect his balance?"

"Marriage: The only union without a shop steward" ( From - Les Dawson

One of Les's best loved routines was where he would perform a song on the piano, however, he would play the piano very badly. In reality, Les was a very good piano player, and it is a widely held belief that it takes a very good piano player to play the piano as 'badly' as Les could. YouTube

Les Dawson 1934 - 1993

Ephemera from the life of Blackpool's Greatest Comedian

Frances144
He was a great man, a great comedian, with timing to die for. He trod the boards, he knew his skill and he was perfect. I loved Les Dawson. Lancashire's answer to Victor Borge!

Thanks for reminding me. I loved Cissy and Ada - we actually named two Shetland ponies after them!

I must say telly is not the same without him.

Highmac
I'm not sure what our American friends would have made of Les.... but I've just had a merry 20 minutes chortling away at clips on YouTube.

This is a standup intro, at a Royal Variety Performance, where he has a go at politicians and bankers. It's amazing (shocking?) that his jokes are still so apt! Then in Second clip, which continues from the first he introduced the Roly Polys, featuring guest Roly Poly... yep, Roy Barraclough. It seems to have been the 1987 show

Do a search for Les Dawson and there are loads of clips there. smile.gif

And don't ever accuse me of not giving you enough links biggrin.gif
Frances144
I have a pile of Two Ronnie audio sketches for the iPod who were equally funny, including the "Four Candles" one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.