Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New mail client
sluggo
post Jul 19 2017, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
My Mac(s): Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz i7, OS 10.12.3, Samsung SyncMaster P2750 display, TP Link wireless router, Magic trackpad, Apple wireless keyboard, iPhone 7, iPod Nano.

Apple's Mail app has just started to disagree with Gmail. It's the first problem that I've had, but a search shows that this is a long time/ongoing issue for many. I've verified that the password is up to date and tried another trick or two that I saw suggested. No luck yet this morning.
I have accounts with Gmail & Yahoo plus another remote provider for my business. Any recommendations for a new email client where I can have an icon in the dock that checks mail often and will notify me when there's incoming?
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

"Time loves to be wasted. From that waste there is no salvage." - Henry Ford
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jul 19 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #2

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Although I haven't tried it myself, I have read good things about Airmail, available via App Store. Check it out and read the reviews.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Jul 19 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #3

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Todd, what are the issues you're seeing, specifically? I have a number of Gmail accounts all working flawlessly with Mail, so perhaps we can help you work this one out rather than jump to a new mail client which may have its own issues too. Let us know what the problem is (sounds like it's not connecting?) and what you've done to try to solve the problem.

Sometimes it takes the nuclear option: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/768988...=0&tstart=0 (second response which details the steps) though I've yet to have to go quite that far when having mail issues with other mail providers. Gmail has been the one that usually "just works" for me. It's Yahoo and various web hosts I've had issues with. On my MBP at the moment, any time I try to send email from my Rogers/Yahoo account, it won't go - it's got a phantom STMP setting in there that I can't get rid of that it defaults to instead of the correct one. I have to manually select the darn outgoing setting every time. No issues on any of the other Macs or iDevices. A nuke and pave may be in my future for this annoyance. dry.gif

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
sluggo
post Jul 19 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #4

Super Poster

My Mac(s): Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz i7, OS 10.12.3, Samsung SyncMaster P2750 display, TP Link wireless router, Magic trackpad, Apple wireless keyboard, iPhone 7, iPod Nano.

QUOTE(Paddy @ Jul 19 2017, 09:39 AM) *
Todd, what are the issues you're seeing, specifically? I have a number of Gmail accounts all working flawlessly with Mail, so perhaps we can help you work this one out rather than jump to a new mail client which may have its own issues too. Let us know what the problem is (sounds like it's not connecting?) and what you've done to try to solve the problem.

Sometimes it takes the nuclear option: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/768988...=0&tstart=0 (second response which details the steps) though I've yet to have to go quite that far when having mail issues with other mail providers. Gmail has been the one that usually "just works" for me. It's Yahoo and various web hosts I've had issues with. On my MBP at the moment, any time I try to send email from my Rogers/Yahoo account, it won't go - it's got a phantom STMP setting in there that I can't get rid of that it defaults to instead of the correct one. I have to manually select the darn outgoing setting every time. No issues on any of the other Macs or iDevices. A nuke and pave may be in my future for this annoyance. dry.gif

This morning it began. Just the little lightning bolt next to Gmail under my Inboxes. It's worked literally for years with no issues. Today it gave up.
I went into the mail prefs and it showed Gmail as "offline" with a little red dot. When I signed in via Firefox, no problems. Emails were awaiting me. I went into the general email settings and switched the "check for new messages" from automatic to every 1 minute - as suggested somewhere online. Under Account Information in the prefs, it now shows a green dot and that Gmail is online. But no mail is retrieved. No mail servers have changed that I'm aware of.

--------------------
Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
sluggo
post Jul 19 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Super Poster

I couldn't find any of the stuff mentioned in that link to nuke everything. So I tried this: got into Mail/Accounts. Clicked the minus sign and removed Gmail. Shut down Mail. Restarted Mail and added the Gmail account back in. No lighting bolts or offline notices now that I've signed back into Mail. So I'll monitor Mail and keep a browser window open to my Gmail account to see if one receives mail and the other doesn't.

--------------------
Todd

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Jul 19 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #6

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

QUOTE(sluggo @ Jul 19 2017, 04:06 PM) *
I couldn't find any of the stuff mentioned in that link to nuke everything. So I tried this: got into Mail/Accounts. Clicked the minus sign and removed Gmail. Shut down Mail. Restarted Mail and added the Gmail account back in. No lighting bolts or offline notices now that I've signed back into Mail. So I'll monitor Mail and keep a browser window open to my Gmail account to see if one receives mail and the other doesn't.

Yup - that delete-the-account dance often solves any issues. Hope it continues behaving!

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:39 PM