IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Always blame the "engineer"?, ... never the guys who hired him...
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 7 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.5

British Airways Points to Human Error for May Flight Outage Bloomburg, via WHIR Newsletter
An engineer had disconnected a power supply at a data center near London’s Heathrow airport, causing a surge that resulted in major damage when it was reconnected, Willie Walsh, chief executive officer of parent IAG SA, told reporters...

The engineer in question had been authorized to be on site, but not “to do what he did,” Walsh said on Monday, according to BBC. [emphasis added]
Next time, be sure to add that clause in the service contract. "You are specifically prohibited from crashing the entire system. Crashes can propagate to only one scheduled flight." There, that's fixed! wink.gif

I wonder who designed the 'surge protection' system. I wonder who decided to out-source these systems support. I wonder how well or even if these systems were ever tested.

On the other hand, "You can't make anything to be idiot-proof, there are too many idiots being born every day!" laughhard.gif Even worse, they can vote! eek2.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNKIII
post Jun 7 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #2

You don't need to be 'right' to be correct.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 85
My Mac(s): Retina 5k 27

During my Data processing career, we always had a generic error code to use when dealing with 'undereducated' staff. An "I'd-10-t" always let the individual dealing with the requesting user, that they were sure to find a missed connection or were due for a long explanatory session. And good luck to ya buddy!

Bob K. rnkiii
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:43 AM