IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nice review/reminder about McMaster-Carr!, (lots of parts)
gunug
post Sep 13 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #1

TS πάλινδρóμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

There is an old hardware store in downtown Larryville (my hometown) called Ernst and Son that is kind of a pit that just keeps growing (see picture attached) but they do
have stuff you might need if you can find it, or they can remember where it is! We have a lot of other places but none of them beats McMaster-Carr!

For the penny-pinching basement hacker, McMaster-Carr seems like a weird go-to resource for hardware. For one, they’re primarily a B2B company; and, for two, their prices aren’t cheap. Yet their name is ubiquitous among the hacker community. Why? Despite the price, something makes them too useful to ignore by everyday DIY enthusiasts. Those of us who’ve already been enlightened by the McMaster-Carr can design wonders with a vocabulary of parts just one day away at the click of a button.

Today, this article is for those of us who have yet to receive that enlightenment. When used wisely, this source of mechanical everything brings us a world of fast parts at our fingertips. When used poorly, we find nothing but overpriced stock components in oversized shipping boxes.

Since we, the McMaster-Carr sages, are forever doomed to stuff our desk drawers with those characteristic yellow baggies till the end of time, we thought we’d give an intro to the noobs that are just beginning to flex their muscles with this almighty resource. Grab another cup of coffee as we take you on a tour of the good and good-grievances of McMaster-Carr.

https://hackaday.com/2017/09/13/noobs-guide...-mcmaster-carr/

Attached File(s)
Attached File  o.jpg ( 111.02K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 13 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Your picture reminds me of the last real hardware store in our town. Always a family owned and run establishment. Always friendly, called you by name. Squeaky wooden floors. They just couldn't compete by selling nails and screws by the pound. And price competition on brands was impossible with places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Limited, diagonal parking across from the small town square was not as convenient as the acres of asphalt at the big guys! Progress? Sad! yes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
gunug
post Sep 13 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #3

TS πάλινδρóμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I think the "& Son" is starting up a wine/beer making business (maybe it's the granddaughter)!

I used to work for Bob "Muddy" Waters at the True Value Hardware store in Junction City, Kansas. It was evolving into a modern place but still kind of looked like this picture
at the edges. My favorite part of most hardware stores is the set of little bins that have rare and different little parts that are just the thing you needed! The old places, like
real pharmacies (with soda fountains) and drive-in movies are going, gone!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:39 PM