IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Solar Eclipse, From Oregon all the way to South Carolina!!
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 13 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Hope those of you in the path have clear skies on the 21st! If you don't have the safety glasses by now, you probably will have to settle for seeing only the "Totality" part of this event. On the other hand, watching the people watching the rest of the event can be very entertaining, also!

Please don't even try watching this without proper eye protection!
Look for "ISO 12312-2" (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015) printed on any device used to view the Sun. However, be aware that there are also scammers that are printing this on fake glasses!!

Here's the best interactive map I've come across to let you see where you might want to be. The map starts on the coast of Oregon, scroll down to see how and where the Moon's shadow will be:

If you've never seen a total solar eclipse (like me), you might get an inkling of why they can be addicting by watching this vid.

Please don't even try watching this without proper eye protection!
Look for "ISO 12312-2" (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015) printed on any device used to view the Sun. However, be aware that there are also scammers that are printing this on fake glasses!!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 13 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I remember watching an eclipse as a kid. We did the pin hole in a box thing and had to write a paper for school. Whether it was a full or partial eclipse, I couldn’t tell you. I'm in the path for this eclipse and I'm hoping the skies are clear enough to see this—with my NASA approved glasses. Even if the skies are cloudy, it will get dark. My neighbors are having a party in their front yard and invited way too many folks. There will be drinking of mimosas and wine. Not sure if any of them will actually be alert enough to see the eclipse. LOL I plan on standing out on my back porch and watching.

--I've stocked up on food, but I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll go buy more water because they are projecting that we might have an issue, and I want to be able to flush my toilets over the 4 days of tourist madness. wink.gif I was going to top off the car's gas tank on Wed, but some gas stations are running out of gas already, with limited supplies heading this way, so I'll try to do that tomorrow as well. *sigh*

--According to the local news, there isn't a hotel, motel, camping place available anywhere in this area. Folks are renting out their driveways, front yards, etc.—and the "rent" isn't cheap either. eek2.gif Oh, and we already have a problem with "squatters", and the police.gif Sheriff and State Police are having to run these folks off the lands.

--Probably my favorite local factoid for this whole event is this: my city has rented 4 extra portapotties. Why only 4? The city council stuck their head in the sand and didn't think it was anything to be concerned about—until they discovered how many people are projected to be in town. wallbash.gif Even better, the rental company will NOT be able to "service" them due to the traffic. So they will be filled quickly, and then they will sit wherever, filled to the brim for several days after the eclipse until the rental company can navigate traffic and come remove them. Hoping the smell doesn't permeate the entire town. getsick.gif

--ODOT is projecting massive traffic jams for several days before and after the eclipse. I almost wish I lived on one of the roads in and out of this area. It might be fun to sit on my front porch and watch humanity. There was a rumor that ODOT was turning Hwys 20 and 34 into one-way roads for the eclipse. NOT TRUE! So those 2 roads, which are only 2 lanes, are going to be virtual parking lots. I'm hoping I can get to and from church on Sunday. Otherwise, I’m not leaving my house.

--Most of us in the path are taking this in stride, but there are many who are flail.gif . The community FB page got so ugly, I left it. This is a tourist area, and these are tourists. Don't like them? Leave town for the summer. Not that I’m opinionated about it or anything. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the interactive page to the washington post, xABD. Fascinating. A site I watch for cloud cover predictions in my area is this one:

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/eclipse

Just found this Oregon news page. Has some interesting tidbits:
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/...ar_eclipse.html

Like xABD, hope some of you get to SAFELY watch this. Otherwise, there's always the science channel, which I understand will broadcast live.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 14 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Several weeks ago, My wife suggested we go north into southwestern KY to watch he eclipse. She found that prices for rooms, that were still available, were in the several hundreds of dollars! Even those a couple of hundred miles outside the totality area. Most folks can get to that area even if they have to drive a couple of hundred miles since the event won't start until shortly after Noon.

I thought she was not interested in spending that kind of money, neither was I, frankly, so I kinda forgot about it. Friday, she realized my interest and thought she'd check again, obviously with even worse results. rolleyes.gif

We live about 400 miles south and were planning on leaving the house early Mon morning and then spending the night somewhere. That's when I suggested maybe going farther north into KY and found a B&B in Henderson, right on the Ohio River; $99! And she could then visit some court houses from there south to do some genealogical research! I'd hopefully get some pictures and she'd hopefully fill in some missing info on several family lines!

Sunday, she was talking to her Sister who reminded my wife that we had an invitation to come to Columbia, MO and view the eclipse! wallbash.gif So, the choice was between:
    Drive to a none-too-familiar area (TN Highway Patrol says they will be ticketing folks who simply pull off onto a roads shoulder without a suitable reason)
    Try to find a suitable and legal place where we could also stay relatively cool.
    Eat at any place we could get reasonable food in a reasonable time frame.
    Pay $99 for room for the night.
OR
    Drive farther but in a less stressful pace.
    Arrive in a well know place with an air-condtioned house.
    Get maybe three home-cooked meals (for FREE).
    Visit with family and friends.
    Get a guaranteed legal and free viewing area just outside the comfortable house.

It was a tough choice...
I'm just glad I my wife married me! yes.gif thumbup.gif Devilish2.gif wub.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jwboyd
post Aug 14 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Super Duper Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 235
My Mac(s): 27 inch iMac (Late 2012), OS 10.12.6, HP LaserJet 1012, HP ENVY 5540 All-In-One, Three external drives, Very Patient Wife. Keeping my 15-inch MacBook Pro for when I travel.

My son in Denver has some interest in this, having developed an interest in optics when he worked in the imaging division of Hewlett-Packard. Several years ago he built his own reflecting telescope and got some pretty good moon shots.

He and his wife thought they would drive to Casper, Wyoming for the viewing. Found out that Casper has some kind of annual doin's going on at the same time and that hotels have been sold out for months. If rooms were available, they would be $900 a night! They will go to Nebraska instead.

--------------------
I'm not a complete idiot -- a few parts are missing!

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 14 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

Most hotels/motels along the rout have been close to sold out for months and the remaining ones within a hundred miles will be at least 3 times the normal rate and often much more than that. Some ardent 'geeks' made their reservations years in advance! This is one of the longest viewable eclipses for several centuries. And yet, I or my wife have spoken with people who had no idea it was coming! I had no idea there were that many rocks to live under!! laughhard.gif wallbash.gif whoosh.gif

Personally, I'm thinking of waiting for one to occur around 10pm, it will be much cooler, even in Summer... tease.gif scram.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
gunug
post Aug 14 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #6

TS πάλινδρóμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I watched the last one (partial I think) using my grandfather's welding helmet; I can still see so I suppose it worked okay. I'm not sure about any of these little cardboard things that look like cheap 3D movie
glasses. I'm thinking of punching a hole in a piece of mylar I have and holding it on a card a proper distance from another card as a screen. I don't have the welding helmet any more and any desire to own
another one. Also not thinking I wish to drive even 40 miles north to see the "total event" of it getting dark in the middle of the day! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
jwboyd
post Aug 14 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Super Duper Poster

My Mac(s): 27 inch iMac (Late 2012), OS 10.12.6, HP LaserJet 1012, HP ENVY 5540 All-In-One, Three external drives, Very Patient Wife. Keeping my 15-inch MacBook Pro for when I travel.

If I miss this one, maybe I'll see the one in Carbondale, Illinois in 2024. I'll be only 94! (That is, if I survive my 90th birthday skydive in 2020.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 14 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Patience is for humans!

I don't care what type of aircraft you jump from, do you have any idea how much more went into building, maintaining, and monitoring it than the $120 worth of cloth in that parachute?!!! eek2.gif tease.gif I could never understand how the Airborne 'guys' would trade a $11.9 million aircraft for $200 worth of silk (Military cost, of course, would have been more than that for the same chute you'll use)!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Aug 14 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #9

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 14 2017, 03:04 PM) *
Personally, I'm thinking of waiting for one to occur around 10pm, it will be much cooler, even in Summer... tease.gif scram.gif
For similar reasons, I always ski in July. It's so much more comfortable than January. Of course, the ride tends to be a tad bumpier... whistling.gif

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 14 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #10

Snowball

Today I read several comments that had me sitting here shaking my head. People are upset that ODOT, local law enforcement, and/or cities aren't going to close the 2 bridges in the area to vehicle traffic—because these folks think that thousands of people should be allowed to stand on the bridge and watch the eclipse. eek2.gif Are these folks nuts? blink.gif dntknw.gif fool.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Aug 15 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Admin2

Member No.: 407

QUOTE(kimmer @ Aug 15 2017, 03:11 AM) *
Today I read several comments that had me sitting here shaking my head. People are upset that ODOT, local law enforcement, and/or cities aren't going to close the 2 bridges in the area to vehicle traffic—because these folks think that thousands of people should be allowed to stand on the bridge and watch the eclipse. eek2.gif Are these folks nuts? blink.gif dntknw.gif fool.gif

Is that a rhetorical question? laugh.gif

--------------------
Neil
My Macs:
MBP Mid-2010 15in; 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard);
27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD;
MBP Retina, 15in, Mid-2014, OS X High Sierra
Oh, and a G3 DV-SE (OS9.*) in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 15 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Patience is for humans!

I think some Admin deleted my response! tease.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
gunug
post Aug 16 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #13

TS πάλινδρóμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I think some Admin deleted my response!

I'm thinking you should clean up your language flyboy!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 16 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #14

Patience is for humans!

Certainly 'sound' advice! notworthy.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 16 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #15

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 15 2017, 05:23 PM) *
I think some Admin deleted my response! tease.gif

Wonder which admin? I'm thinking xABD had bumble fingers. wink.gif laugh.gif

I did get gas in the car, and none too soon as today the price is going up by a buck a gallon! I wanted a loaf of sourdough bread (want not need) -- and discovered a lot of the shelves in the grocery store are empty!!! Supplies may, or may not, arrive by Friday!!!

Honestly, this is like living in the nursery rhyme "Henny-Penny". rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 16 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #16

Patience is for humans!

I'm thinking xABD had bumble fingers.
I've been called much worse!
    "Never in doubt, often wrong."
      "Even when wrong, never in doubt!"
        Both occasionally fit... blush-anim-cl.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
daryl66
post Aug 16 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #17

Super Duper Poster

Member No.: 1,855
My Mac(s): 12"Powerbook 10.5.8, 13" MBP 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11.6 Duo 2.53 Ghz OSX 10.12.3 iPad mini IOS 9.3.5 4TH GeniPad IOS 10.1 iPod touch (2nd gen) 4.2.1 iPad 2 IOS 9.3.5 iPhone 6 IOS 10 Magic Trackpad, Apple watch 2.0, an assortment of scanner(s), printer(s) and 5 eternal hd's

QUOTE(jwboyd @ Aug 14 2017, 02:48 PM) *
If I miss this one, maybe I'll see the one in Carbondale, Illinois in 2024. I'll be only 94! (That is, if I survive my 90th birthday skydive in 2020.)

HOOO HA!! Good show, I did it for my 75th and plan on a rerun next year for my 80th. (god willin and the creek dont rise)

Daryl thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
jwboyd
post Aug 16 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #18

Super Duper Poster

My daughter said this morning, "Mom would probably kill you if you did that!"
My response: "Mom would probably kill me to keep me from doing that."

Back to the eclipse topic: One of my daughter's businesses is retail steel and welding supplies. They are sold out of glass inserts for welding helmets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 17 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #19

Snowball

Oh good grief. eek2.gif The traffic is already crazy! I had to go to a friends house, just 1.3 miles away, and it took me over 20min each direction—and that's with no stop signs, no stop lights, just vehicles. The price of gas has shot up over 50˘ a gallon overnight, and predicted to hit $4 a gallon. There was actually a line of a dozen cars at the gas station this morning—I've never seen that here. So glad I tanked up the other day. Plus, the few motel rooms left are going for $1200-$1900 a night; and the dumps are going for $700-$900 a night (their norm is $50, and it's often filled with the homeless with vouchers).

I stopped at the grocery store yesterday. A few cars in the parking lot, and maybe a dozen people in the store. All the shelves were full. So I peacefully did a big amount of shopping. I'm stocked for months now. biggrin.gif

I am now sheltering in place for the duration. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Aug 18 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #20

Admin2

Member No.: 407

QUOTE(kimmer @ Aug 17 2017, 11:09 PM) *
... I had to go to a friend's house, just 1.3 miles away, and it took me over 20min each direction... The price of gas has shot up over 50˘ a gallon overnight, and predicted to hit $4 a gallon.

Hmm... We're paying 1.15 GBP for a litre of supermaket petrol and that equates to 4.35 GBP (or US $5.60) for a US gallon, so we would love our petrol to hit the equivalent of your $4 mark. If only... And if you had walked to your friend's house you might have been quicker... biggrin.gif

I'm stocked for months now. biggrin.gif

I am now sheltering in place for the duration. wink.gif

We were told as kids that everything in America was bigger and better, but how long do American eclipses go on? When we had our last total eclipse in 1999, we took 20 minutes out of the office to see it and then went back to work - because it got so darn cold when the sun disappeared... snowglobe.gif

--------------------
Neil
My Macs:
MBP Mid-2010 15in; 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard);
27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD;
MBP Retina, 15in, Mid-2014, OS X High Sierra
Oh, and a G3 DV-SE (OS9.*) in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 18 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Patience is for humans!

We know gas in GB is expensive, but ours doesn't have a Royal Seal. Monarchies are expensive! We put all our cash into health care. rolleyes.gif

The "totality" will be barely more than two minutes. But like other things over here, it will take a mini-eon from start to finish (with no offense to the Scandinavians...) and all but that ~2 minutes will require eye protection. The shadow is actually traveling around 2,000 mph. But both bodies are really big! eek2.gif laughhard.gif

...if you had walked..
HERESY!! Are you one of those 'health nuts'! eek2.gif However, I do plan on walking to see the eclipse; all the way from inside an air-conditioned house to just beyond the garage door. whew.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 18 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #22

Snowball

QUOTE(Highmac @ Aug 18 2017, 07:33 AM) *
And if you had walked to your friend's house you might have been quicker... biggrin.gif

Probably, but the walk would be on the side of a major highway! eek2.gif wink.gif

Comparing your gas prices to mine is like comparing apples and oranges. What if your "1.15 GBP for a litre of supermaket petrol" became 2.15 GBP overnight?

We were told as kids that everything in America was bigger and better, but how long do American eclipses go on?

This has become an event of apocalyptic proportions. rolleyes.gif Depending on where you are, there are festivals, carnivals, blah, blah, blah. I’m on the coast, with nice beaches (that are gonna be quite wet because of the extreme high tides -- should be interesting), and with the eclipse on a Monday, folks started heading over here for a 4-5 day weekend. It's a zoo.

Yesterday the county commissioners declared us in a "State of Emergency", so now we have 12 additional National Guard and their 4 Humvees here. (There is a National Guard post up the road, so these are extra personnel). The commissioners stated that the early declaration was to avoid a delay in help arriving (a special meeting, then the formal request, then the transportation times -- which could be a prob if the roads are clogged). I understand their rational, but it's still a bit on the creepy side.

I learned where the 4 portapotties (the ones that won't be emptied until next Wed) are going to live: in the little park at the base of my hill! Praying that the weather doesn't get too warm, and that the smell doesn't waft up here. getsick.gif

I also read a post yesterday about a local who was frustrated following a tourist, and so she pulled in behind him at his trailer camp and, in the most charming language, rolleyes.gif told him off. Tempers are flaring, patience is gone, frustration reigns, and that was on Thursday. I really should have taken that vacation to northern WA.

The entire thing is: flail.gif flail.gif flail.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 18 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #23

Patience is for humans!

You need to visit some friends well to the west of town! Don't forget your life vest!

the walk would be on the side of a major highway!
Come on, Kimmer, I've been through your town on a drive up the Oregon coast. Yes, I was a tourist! But I wouldn't call US 101 a "major" highway! Besides, your walking speed is probably faster than any vehicles speed! tease.gif

Try counting to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 by π (pi) (to the third place). I estimate that by the time you figure out what I mean, the unwelcome sky watchers will all be gone... but probably not their trash. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 18 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #24

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 18 2017, 10:44 AM) *
You need to visit some friends well to the west of town! Don't forget your life vest!

rofl.gif

Come on, Kimmer, I've been through your town on a drive up the Oregon coast. Yes, I was a tourist! But I wouldn't call US 101 a "major" highway! Besides, your walking speed is probably faster than any vehicles speed! tease.gif

It is around here. LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 19 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #25

Snowball

Here's my Saturday report: YAWN!

Cabin fever, combined with the desire to buy some planters, pushed me out the door and I headed downtown. Less traffic than normal for a summer Saturday. No problem parking at the hardware store, where I was met by folks eager for something to do (a bit unusual at this store). I bought everything on my list, and headed over to my favorite burger place. On the way I saw empty parking places, businesses without customers, and two restaurants that appeared empty. The only line I saw was at the drive through coffee place, and that was only 4 cars long.

So far it's been a lot of hype about nothing. wink.gif

YAWN!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 04:21 PM