IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What am I reading and who wrote it!, (The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz)
gunug
post Jul 21 2017, 11:44 AM
Post #1

TS πάλινδρóμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

As far back as Junior High School (substitute Middle School if you want) I was interested in electronics and eventually broke down and sought out a degree in the early 1990's. My breakthrough book was the Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz who was a professor at Harvard. I bought the book and worked through a lot of the early content and then decided
to move onto tech school.

There is in interesting little piece about his work searching for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence here:

The first thing Prof. Horowitz taught us was that the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) over 1000 light years with an Arecibo-equivalent antenna at each end is four orders of magnitude above the cosmic background radiation. That is quite good for communications. It is entirely plausible to transmit signals between intelligent extra terrestrial civilizations if they exist and this plausibility motivates the search for extra terrestrial intelligence (SETI).

Paul’s involvement goes way back. On of his earlier contributions to SETI involved the use of conventional dish-based radio telescopes, listening at 1425 MHz, looking for strong narrow band emissions. One example is his ‘suitcase SETI‘ system built from wire-wrap boards and other early 80’s tech. Many such emissions were detected and logged, but unfortunately the duty cycle of observation was so low that they were never able to confirm.

http://hackaday.com/2017/07/19/paul-horowi...l-intelligence/

There is a Youtube video which tells about this a lot better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImBlq542TQ

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 21 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

I believe there are "intelligent extra terrestrial civilizations" and once they heard what we are doing on Earth, they moved on to looking for civilized groups. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 09:33 PM