> Making it easier to get help at TS
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 30 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

As more and more people discover Techsurvivors and the amazingly friendly atmosphere here, I've noticed a few instances where this style of support needs a little help.
    1. Take a few seconds to review the "<Tips for Forum Users>" section for general info and suggestions
    2. Now stroll through the "<TS Tips>" section for some predefined questions and answers for common problems.
    3. Learn how to take "screen captures." Remember, even Aristotle (or was it His Steveness... dntknw.gif) knew that "A picture is worth 100KBs of plain text!"
      The Mac (and even Windows computers!) have built-in methods of taking pictures of what's on your screen. Why try to remember what a dialog says when you can (usually) make an exact copy of it for posterity? wink.gif Having trouble remembering what the different parts of some items are? Take a picture and include it in your question and no one will be confused about your textual description. clap.gif This is especially helpful when trying to describe buttons or icons. (BTW, this capability does not use the built-in camera on your Mac, so don't worry about us seeing your frowning mug! laughhard.gif
      Here is where to discover this very useful capability in your Mac:
        1. Click on your Desktop or make "Finder" the active app (you don't even need to have a Finder window open)
        2. Click the "Help" menu. Select "Mac Help."
        3. You should now have a window with a 'search box' in the upper right-hand area.
        4. Type something like "screen capture" in that search box and press the enter or return key.
        5. You should now see a list of topics discussing whatever you typed in the search box.

6. Many of the items will take you to the same page, just click on one of the topics and see what is offered. At the end of that page, you may se other links to related topics that can be of further help.
    4. Learn how to use the built-in formatting capabilities of the TS Forms software. That's right, when you use our forums, you are actually using a program that converts what you write into something your web browser can understand. It needs your help to make things bold, italicized, indented, colored, etc. None of that is absolutely required, but it often helps to convey meanings/emotions/importance that plain text cannot. One of the most important functions of the Forums software is allowing you to add those pictures that help explain what you are seeing! Don't forget to 'play' with those tools, as well. wink.gif
    5. Most importantly, don't let anything said above deter you from submitting a question! The most important rule at TS is: "There are no stupid questions!" The second most important rule is (in my humble opinion) is: "Your question is more important than how it is asked/presented. Ask first and shoot (updated info) later."
    6. However, it is also important to respond to suggestions as they are offered. If you find more than one suggestion when you next log in, try the first one and let us know the results, then try the next and its results, repeat as needed. Using the Forums "Quote" function will also be helpful in doing that. The point here is to attempt to keep suggestions and results in an orderly, connected fashion which will greatly aid in further suggestions if needed and may also help others to better understand the problem.
Note to Admins: Edit/add/delete the above as desired. It is offered as a genuine attempt to encourage more efficient questions and responses. Perhaps a similar post to "Responders" could be helpful, also. Thinking.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Apr 30 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #2

Admin2

Member No.: 407

I've pinned this since I reckon it's all good advice thumbup.gif

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 13 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Be sure to enter and keep current the important System info in your "Profile." It can be important to know what version of OS X you are using, how much free space you have on the drive(s) you usually work with, how much RAM in the computer. Space that is available to display info when you post is quite limited; we don't usually need to know the cpu speed or the type of graphics card or any of the 'marketing jargon' Apple may supply. laughhard.gif

Please include the version number of the specific app where you are having a problem, and indicate in the what you do to cause or see the problem. Be prepared to be asked for additional information, there are some experts here that can 'tele-transport' to you computer, the rest of us must still ask questions and even a screenshot! rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:38 PM