> hp.myway.com, Now sent to my HIGHway!
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 18 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Got a request from my wife early his morning. "Why an I seeing this page almost every time I click on a link?!" wallbash.gif

The page seemed to be a search engine. The url was simply hp.myway.com. I've not been able to track down how she allowed the extension to be added, but there are hundreds of sites explaining how to remove it on all major browsers and OSs. Basically, open your browsers Prefs, look at the list of extensions, click uninstall if you don't know why it's there. Now, check the "General" area of the Prefs. Specifically, look at what is set as the "Home Page" and make sure it's what you want and not something like "HP Myway". Also look at what you have set as you default 'Search' source.

Like any other app, you should know where a browser extension comes from and if you really want it to have access to just about anything you do with your browser. "Trust only after verification." inspect.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Apr 19 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #2

TS Maven

Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Apr 18 2017, 05:25 PM) *
Got a request from my wife early his morning. "Why an I seeing this page almost every time I click on a link?!" wallbash.gif

The page seemed to be a search engine. The url was simply hp.myway.com. I've not been able to track down how she allowed the extension to be added, but there are hundreds of sites explaining how to remove it on all major browsers and OSs. Basically, open your browsers Prefs, look at the list of extensions, click uninstall if you don't know why it's there. Now, check the "General" area of the Prefs. Specifically, look at what is set as the "Home Page" and make sure it's what you want and not something like "HP Myway". Also look at what you have set as you default 'Search' source.

Like any other app, you should know where a browser extension comes from and if you really want it to have access to just about anything you do with your browser. "Trust only after verification." inspect.gif thumbup.gif

Did she happen to update Java recently? It's become infested with malware/addons - the unwary are likely to just click, click, click through the update screens. There IS a way to permanently opt out of the crap addons - go to System Preferences->Java->Java Control Panel->click on the "Advanced" tab and scroll alllll the way to the bottom of the very long list of things and check "suppress sponsor offers when installing or updating Java". I just updated Java on this MBP and it works nicely. BTW - the latest Java update tells you it's installing a "helper" which is a bit alarming. However, nothing bad happened with the suppress sponsor offers selected. Apparently the install is wrapped in an installer of some sort - whether this is the "helper" or not, I can't tell.

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 19 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check her machine. Good time, she's out of town for a few days. I have Java enabled on my iMac, assuming I'm smart enough to see what it tries to do. rolleyes.gif I don't think it's enabled on her MBP, need to disable it since I don't think she really needs it. OTOH...

I still have Flash enabled on both machines. I'm inclined to blame that for this event. None of my searches really pointed toward any particular entity as responsible. That's probably because there are multiple vectors. wallbash.gif

UPDATE: That "suppress sponsor offers..." setting is certainly well 'hidden'! rolleyes.gif BTW, she hadn't updated Java on her own. It was several updates behind when I checked this morning. The only thing she uses that requires Java seems to be the Jacquie Lawson e-cards (which may have changed from Flash to Java rolleyes.gif ). That site has lots of disgruntled reviews/complaints. I stopped using it many years ago, but Judy still gets 'cards' from friends. At any rate, she could have easily seen a 'request' to do something when she got the latest card. wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Apr 20 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Snowball

Member No.: 995

Paddy, thanks for the heads-up; I had no idea that little option was there.

xABD, some of the articles I read stated that the "hp.myway.com" was malware and needed to be removed. Don't know if that's true or not.

As to Jacquie Lawson ... growl ... long ago stopped viewing any cards from there, and I keep telling my cousin not to buy me the annual advent thingy as it doesn't play nice on my iMac and I don't trust it at all. Lawson does beautiful artwork, but it's not worth the frustration for me.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 20 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

It is definitely "malware" if for no other reason it can highjack your search engine choice. And, since it's an extension, it has privileges that you may not want to give it while browsing. It can very easily monitor your entry of passwords, for example. That's why you should be as careful about what extensions you install as you are about 'regular' apps.

One post I saw claimed that JL had been bought out by another company who may not be as ethical as many assume about JL. It can be tough running a business that depends on a particular 'technology' that is no longer being supported and hat has been know as a vector for malware; Flash. If "she" is now trying to use Java, I fear she may have "jumped out of the pan into the fire"! wink.gif I also noticed there is an entry about JL.com on a BBB site (I think in the Illinois area) that notes here were 17 complaints with 15 not replied to. That leaves the viewer wondering if the complaints were bogus or simply ignored. rolleyes.gif
Reason for edit: added "can" before "highjack"

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Apr 20 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #6

TS Maven

Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Apr 20 2017, 02:46 PM) *
It is definitely "malware" if for no other reason it can highjack your search engine choice. And, since it's an extension, it has privileges that you may not want to give it while browsing. It can very easily monitor your entry of passwords, for example. That's why you should be as careful about what extensions you install as you are about 'regular' apps.

One post I saw claimed that JL had been bought out by another company who may not be as ethical as many assume about JL. It can be tough running a business that depends on a particular 'technology' that is no longer being supported and hat has been know as a vector for malware; Flash. If "she" is now trying to use Java, I fear she may have "jumped out of the pan into the fire"! wink.gif I also noticed there is an entry about JL.com on a BBB site (I think in the Illinois area) that notes here were 17 complaints with 15 not replied to. That leaves the viewer wondering if the complaints were bogus or simply ignored. rolleyes.gif

I can confirm that Jacquie Lawson was acquired (quietly, it would appear) back in 2007 by American greetings - see: http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php...49&start=40

Also, she is STILL using Flash. rolleyes.gif
http://www.jacquielawson.com/faq/answer.pd...QuestionID=3443

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Apr 20 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Paddy @ Apr 20 2017, 11:05 AM) *
I can confirm that Jacquie Lawson was acquired (quietly, it would appear) back in 2007 by American greetings - see: http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php...49&start=40

dry.gif angry.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 01:32 PM