IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hackers threaten to wipe millions of Apple devices...
Paddy
post Mar 22 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #1

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

In the absence of comment from Apple on the authenticity of this threat*, I would suggest not panicking and simply changing your iCloud/Apple ID password.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3184069/se...html#tk.rss_all

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2617?locale=en_CA

If you want to use 2 factor authentication, make sure that you record the code you're sent - see the recent thread on that issue.

(*$150K? Seriously? Hard to take the threat terribly seriously given the size of the ransom being demanded...)

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Mar 22 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Paddy @ Mar 22 2017, 12:30 PM) *
(*$150K? Seriously? Hard to take the threat terribly seriously given the size of the ransom being demanded...)

Agree, but changing a password is relatively easy, so it's done. Now, signing all my devices back in gets to be a pain. toothgrin.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 22 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

... or it could be a sadistic attempt to get us to swamp Apples servers by changing our Apple Ids as close as possible at the same time. Not a very efficient or sophisticated "attack", OTOH, neither is their 'ransom'. If I were them I would send 'ransom' messages to a few hundred thousand people demanding $500 each and easily surpass the $150,000 mark. dntknw.gif If that didn't work, I'd send them a code they could use to get a $5.00 deal! wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Mar 23 2017, 06:32 AM
Post #4

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Apple responds to hacker claims, says systems not breached

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 23 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

I've already changed my password and, so far, handled the several requests to enter it in various macOS functions (Internet->iCloud/iCloud Drive twice). So far the iOS apps/devices seem less troublesome. Doing this for my wife will mean setting aside some time! She will not tolerate any change in current procedures, especially dialogs requesting multiple entry/re-entry of the same data. I cringe at the thought of re-enabling two factor authentication. Perhaps I should look at that again, as irritating as it was, it would be much worse to lose personal files. wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Mar 23 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #6

TS Addict

My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

I don't use iCloud so I'm not affected, but as to your wife, she sounds as if she would be in agreement with mine. Here's an interesting bit of wisdom: Women and cats do as they please. Men and dogs have to get used to it.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 23 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #7

Patience is for humans!

Both my wife and the cat we provide for agree. yes.gif laughhard.gif "It's not nice to mess with..." the Mother of your children! nono.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Mar 23 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Mar 23 2017, 05:42 AM) *
I've already changed my password and, so far, handled the several requests to enter it in various macOS functions (Internet->iCloud/iCloud Drive twice).

Only twice? I'm on my third go-round of entering my new password. It's really becoming annoying.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 23 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #9

Patience is for humans!

OK, I'm even with you. My iPhone and iPad wanted the new info a second time each. Naturally, 1Password hasn't synced in several weeks. wallbash.gif I had thoughtfully entered the info in one of my Notes. Of course, in getting out of my car while having the Notes page open, I managed to erase the entire entry but not the Note! That means it immediately synced to all other copies of Notes. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 28 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Patience is for humans!

SO safe it's beginning to hurt!

Noticed I had three updates for the new versions of Keynote, Numbers and Pages (which I still don't use in deference to the old, non-iOS versions wallbash.gif ). Clicked all three, studiously avoiding the "Update All" button, letting Jon do the 'bleeding'. Up or should I say down drops the "We noticed that you changed your Apple ID and want to be sure no one has stolen your iMac so please enter that code again (we get points each time, ya know" dialog.

OK, Apple can't seem to check Keychain, iTunes Store or much of anything else, I guess, so I call up 1Password mini and copy the Apple ID... yet again. Apple accepts my input. But...

"You have asked to update more than one app. We are unable to store your new sign-info, so you need to enter that code yet again." Apple again accepts my new ID. But...

"There is still one more app you want to update. You must enter that same ID for that app, also. We don't want you to try and pull a fast one one us! You can't be too safe!

And, besides, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!" wallbash.gif laughhard.gif

I also had to type the 24 character code into the Apple TV as it doesn't seem to allow 'copy & paste'. That's a fairly new technology, of course, so we should expect something like that to work even though it does in every single other device Apple makes! rant.gif Makes one wonder if Apple is encouraging us to use much shorter and more easily remembered passwords... tease.gif

I can hardly wait to update the OS. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Mar 29 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Mar 28 2017, 04:38 PM) *
SO safe it's beginning to hurt!

Yup, I've been dealing with a lot of the same things. It's really frustrating.

I can hardly wait to update the OS. rolleyes.gif

I was ready to let this machine upgrade to Sierra while I sort through things in another room, but I’m almost afraid to do so. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 20 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #12

Patience is for humans!

Seems the April 7 date came and went without much trouble. However, another date earlier this week reminds me that there are other dates that interest hackers.

These remarks pretty much sum up our preferred response:
Phishing emails are designed to tempt or panic people. Reminding yourself that the IRS will not send e-mails about your income tax return gives you the upper hand. No matter how enticing—or scary—the supposed offer or threat is in the supposed IRS letter, which will try to entice you into clicking on a link, or opening a file, resist, and forward the fishing attempt to the IRS at phishing@irs.gov.

Makes one wonder how secure the CPA may be with my data. Personally, I would not trust most national tax prep companies/sites. Thinking.gif Local ones may be even less trustworthy! eek2.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Apr 20 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #13

TS Addict

Could there be any possibility of fraud if this comes to pass? I.R.S. Enlists Debt Collectors to Recover Overdue Taxes Nah!!!

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Apr 21 2017, 04:03 AM
Post #14

Admin2

Member No.: 407

QUOTE(jchuzi @ Apr 20 2017, 11:40 PM) *
Could there be any possibility of fraud if this comes to pass? I.R.S. Enlists Debt Collectors to Recover Overdue Taxes Nah!!!

And this could never lead to "doubtful" practices by collectors... could it?
The companies will work on commission, earning up to 25 percent of the delinquent debt they collect.

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 21 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #15

Patience is for humans!

Really?! You folks are so distrustful! Tisk, tisk. laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:25 PM