> Photobucket Changes TOU without notification
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 12 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Apparently, some users have put images in Photobucket, but then employ/pay for another service to link/host them. Not sure why or how that works, but PB decided to charge folks that do that some pretty hefty fees; up to $400 per year. Reading the article, it appears that the real problem is PB users posting their images for commercial use; their were displayed at places like Amazon and Ebay.

However, the change also has caused users to be unable to download their own images! No matter where they may be linked. I have experienced that myself today. While I can download an "Album", I cannot download a single image. My linked images seem to still be displayed in a couple of forums, haven't actually checked here. blush-anim-cl.gif

I'll probably spend several hours creating new "Albums" and downloading them to re-load most of my PB images. wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jul 12 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #2

TS πάλινδρμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I've backed up everything I had on Flickr because Verizon owns them now and (not suprisingly) no longer honors the extended storage I had under my Yahoo/SBCGLOBAL account. I suppose I'll have to find something else for the few things I'd like to have up to share maybe something from my new IP! Free Lunch is only good up to a point I guess!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 12 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I read about photobucket a week ago and thought maybe I should look at what I have plunked in my bucket, but I only got as far as thinking about it. tongue.gif Maybe I should take a moment and look.

Article on photobucket:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 12 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

I've been deleting images for the last ~hour. Must be done one-at-a-time; no 'batch' controls for individual images. Once you get images into an "Album" things are a bit better; you can delete them by deleting the album... I think. However, by 'moving' an image into an album, any links to it are lost/destroyed! And you still have to add them one-at-a-time. Plus, you have to select the album from a drop down list that shows only ~6 albums at a time; the list has the newest albums at the bottom, of course. wallbash.gif

Album downloading creates a compressed file which may take a while, so you will probably be offered a choice of twiddling your thumbs or waiting for an email with some text like this: "Thanks for waiting! For the next 12 hours, "68-E 47th Reunion" will be available for one download." Emphasis added.

I contacted "support" and got an automated reply from "Bobert, the robot" who completely misunderstood the short question I asked. rolleyes.gif

... Todo: 1. Download all albums. 2. Delete all albums. 3. Create 5 new albums (so I won't have to scroll the list!). 4. Go back to step 1 as long as I can stand it. laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 12 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I only had one photo left a PB, so I deleted it and then I deleted my account.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 13 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

I discovered that the Copy function will put things in an album without breaking any links. One can then, I hope, download the images and get one's OWN images back. Thank you very much! wallbash.gif

Still burns me that they broke their own system. I guess the programmers didn't read the Terms of Use...and the legal "team" doesn't know how to use the site... Once again, the bean counters are running the ship onto the rocks! wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 21 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #7

Patience is for humans!

Only took nine days, but I actually got a response to my complaint; I feel so much better knowing "they" are "terribly sorry". rolleyes.gif
Photobucket Team (Photobucket Support)
Jul 21, 12:26 PM MDT

Hello there!

I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you. This is a known issue affecting several users and our engineering team is troubleshooting the problem. We will get this resolved as soon as we can!

Sorry, but for the time being you will need to download images individually.

Thank you for your patience and again, I am terribly sorry for this inconvenience!
Apparently "Support" is a quite small "group". I would have thought there might be at least two people, but the use of the singular pronoun implies only one!? tease.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 10:54 PM