Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My emails not being received by some customers
Raven
post Jul 2 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Raven

Group: Members
Member No.: 895

This started 6 months ago and is getting worse. I have 3 email accounts - my main ISP account, a gmail, and iCloud email.

Suddenly two of my design clients stopped getting my emails. Yet I receive theirs. Took a while to find out, after they were not answering me.

Called my ISP tech support several times. They said the problem was at my client's end. We solved that issue when I ONLY send my emails to them through my iCloud account. One tech said I had some kind of SPAM in my emails that was being blocked.

A few weeks ago, another customer suddenly stopped getting my emails from ANY of my 3 accounts. I ended up sending my email to her personal address and that works.

Last week another regular client, found my email in her JUNK mail box listed as "SPAM". Which had been working for years! She didn't know my email was there, and we lost previous time. Very annoying.
Lately some emails come back as "554 5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message."
Even some when I cc myself!?

One tech support said to use MacScan 3.0 to clean up my email. Which I bought and tried. Don't know how it works. Now I get an email from them saying my account is "blacklisted"...
blacklist:142.161.124.119 Blacklisted by SORBS DUHL
Have no idea what that means.

It gives me a weekly Global Blacklist Activity.
It tells me free monitoring only checks 30 of 100 blacklists.
Of course, it wants me to upgrade my account for $20 a month to fix my problem.

Should I do that, or what else can I do to fix my email issue?

OS X 10.10.5

--------------------
2009 24" iMac, 2.66 GHz, 8 gb RAM, 640 gb HD, OSX10.10.3 15" MacBookPro OSX10.8 Mac Mini OSX10.7.4.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 2 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Email addresses are not written in stone.

My opinion: When one gets harvested and gets used to send SPAM it's time to let it go. It's too easy to create a new one and get that to those who need it. Getting off a blacklist may take months assuming you actually get it corrected. rolleyes.gif If your domain gets on a blacklist, it is probably worth the effort, but you should be able to get some help from your ISP/registrar.

If you deal with folks using Windows, your address. Hold have been harvested from their machine. You'll probably never find out which one(s).

Obviously, you should never, ever use a "business" address for anything else on the web. Never have it as plain text on your web site(s). Use a "Contact" form that your customers can use so they have to give you their address before you give them yours (by replying to them via the form). Or just have the form send nothing to them until you can verify their trustworthiness.

I wouldn't pay anyone to check if my domains are on any blacklist. You can do a search and find several sites that can do that for free. Check any site for trustworthiness before sending them any of your own domain names, however. I think Paddy has had some experience with blacklists that should help.

A VPN may help, in the future.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 3 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #3

Raven

IF I have to change my personal/business email, what's the best way to let my 1149 contacts know?
I've used my primary email address for over 20 years, so that will be a huge adjustment as it's on my business cards and promotional brochure. :-(

As a consultant, I do not have a business website, so that is not an issue.

Yet, my secondary iCloud address seems to work OK for most of the recipients who stopped getting my emails. Why is that?

--------------------
2009 24" iMac, 2.66 GHz, 8 gb RAM, 640 gb HD, OSX10.10.3 15" MacBookPro OSX10.8 Mac Mini OSX10.7.4.

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 3 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

my secondary iCloud address seems to work OK for most of the recipients who stopped getting my emails. Why is that?
Do a bit of research on "blacklisting". The domain name is but one part of the problem. You are fortunate that the ".icloud/.mac"/etc. part is still working. That means it's the part of that address before the "@" that is getting blocked/blacklisted.

Unless you contact all 1149 contacts, you don't even know if it's a blacklist or the contact's email settings or the settings on their mail servers. If you do, indeed, have 1149 active, current, paying customers, I congratulate you! However, with that many customers, I find it strange that you don't have a business web site! Did all those customers come by 'word-of-mouth'?! WOW.gif

Your need to find out which contacts are actually having a problem. I would suggest that many of those 1149 contacts are less than active ones. Paring down that list might be a good first step. Once you get another 'clean' email address, you can usually send at least 100+ messages at one time with most reputable ISPs. Just use the iCloud address and send the new, 'clean' address in a BCC: message. BTW, NEVER, EVER send a message to ANY group using the To: or CC: fields! Every time you do that, you send your address and every one else's(!) to every single viewer who may or may not have any of the thousands of Windows malware apps!

Second, you need to find out whether the problem is with the customer's email rules/settings or with their ISPs mail server settings. If it's their own "training", they can change it. if it's their ISP/mail server, they'll have to solve that themselves. Good luck in either case, most will not want t be bothered with it.

In my opinion, this is a serious business problem. I would absolutely encourage you to get a reliable hosting company (that automatically excludes GoDaddy, BTW) and get a minimal web presence. Most hosting companies have dozens of free templates you can use. They won't be award winning, but they allow you to be up and running quickly and reliably.

The second most important thing about that presence is selecting a good domain name and faithfully keeping it registered, protected and updated.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 4 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #5

Raven

Thanks for the reply again, Xairbusdriver.

Some clarification is necessary...
I am a semi-retired design consultant with a limited number of clients now. Most of my 1149 contacts are personal or from several non-profit and volunteer boards I work with. Living in a small town, many of my govt or business clients are friends. I do not need a website anymore or a social media strategy, etc. But those clients I do still service, do not need the hassle of NOT getting my emails. It's annoying to them and me, of course! :-) I can't tell dozens of them that the problem might be at their end and would they take the time to fix it! You're right, they don't want to be bothered. :-(

I always use BCC for any group email. And more than I once I've emailed the sender to NOT place my name in the CC field when they do a Group email.

Just today,
one 20+ year old client tells me this week they couldn't find my email cause it was in their JUNK mail box!

Another friend's email came back with this message: "554 5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message."
Now I have call them to ask if they received it. I had no problem with them last week. Aaargh!

Another replied to me today and the subject field was "RE: *****SPAM***** Flight to Conference". Obviously it went through both ways.

Yet, other emails went through without a hitch!??

Is changing to a completely NEW email address, the only way out of this mess that seems to be getting worse?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 4 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

I always use BCC for any group email.
Great! You are obviously not a newbie! Little do the others in your contacts appreciate your endeavors to protect their addresses! thanx.gif

...more than I once I've emailed the sender to NOT place my name in the CC field...
Been there. Done that. It hardly ever works. wallbash.gif laughhard.gif

...they couldn't find my email cause it was in their JUNK mail box!
That exercise is something we should do at least once a week. Many computers 'look' at our messages before we do. Some of them or knot purfekt, lyke wee! Thus, any message can pick up a 'tag' marking it as "junque" and end up in that mailbox... even if it is from your Mother! It is then up to us (or your customer) to move and mark it as "Not Junk". There's very little else you can do about it. If it's any consolation, many sites include the suggestion that you check your "Junk" and/or "SPAM" mailboxes if you don't see a messgae from them in a few minutes. It can happen to the best of them!

Another ... came back with this message: "554 5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message."
There are lots of 500 and 400 'codes' that can be deciphered at various sites if you really want to know what they mean. They usually have some text that sometimes help explain their meanings, but hat can be different text from different servers. Basically, that message was blocked because that server has rules that made it 'think' the message contained SPAM. Those rules could be defined by the recipient or the Administrators of the server. You may never know. If you look at the "header" of the message, you can probably tell the last server that handled the message and you might be able to contact the owner and have a more complete explanation. I suspect that code and the sub code may be very specific about what caused the problem. But I doubt you have the time and patience to follow the trail back to the beginning, even assuming all the 'crumbs' are still around.

sos.gif I wish some others would reply to this thread. I've pretty much reached the end of my meager list of opinions on how to get your communications restarted. :cherr2:

I still suggest you contact your Email system site(s) and add or change the one that is giving you the most trouble. It may require several batches of emails to clients that have not reported problems, but there is no free, guaranteed way that I know of to determine who is not having problems. There are ways to see if your message was opened, but that usually involves embedding a graphic and reading through the logs that might be available to you or using an paid Email service. Either way, in the end, your only option may be to discard that troublesome address. sad.gif
deadhorse.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 04:23 PM