Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heathkit lives!
jchuzi
post Jun 20 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #1

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Those of us of a certain age have fond memories of Heathkit (and Dynakit also). Dynakit may not be with us, but Heathkit is being resurrected. Have fun looking at their first kit in years. Precision RF Meter - HM-1002 - pre-order

I spoke too soon. Here are all their products

--------------------
Jon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 20 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.5

I believe the re-birth was announced here several years ago... twice!Looks like they have their "catalog" finished (quite a large menu), now all they need are the products! Don't see the H-89 in the "Computer and Apps" section... actually, I don't see anything there, even with javascript and Flash enabled. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jwboyd
post Jun 20 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Super Duper Poster

Member No.: 235
My Mac(s): 27 inch iMac (Late 2012), OS 10.12.6, HP LaserJet 1012, HP ENVY 5540 All-In-One, Three external drives, Very Patient Wife. Keeping my 15-inch MacBook Pro for when I travel.

Ah, yes! I do so remember Heathkit, although I never did purchase or assemble anything of theirs.

This elicits memories of another name from my growing-up years: Hallicrafters. I lusted after their S-38 multi-band receiver. Couldn't afford the price, which I believe was $39.95.

--------------------
I'm not a complete idiot -- a few parts are missing!

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 20 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #4

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

I only built one Heathkit, an auto multimeter that I used happily for many years when it was still possible for a non-mechanic to work on his car. Back then, there were carburetors, and distributors had points and condenser. (The younger generation doesn't know what those were.) I also built Dynakits, including an amp, pre-amp and tuner. They were fun to build and a good money-saver.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
daryl66
post Jun 21 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Super Duper Poster

Member No.: 1,855
My Mac(s): 12"Powerbook 10.5.8, 13" MBP 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11.6 Duo 2.53 Ghz OSX 10.12.3 iPad mini IOS 9.3.5 4TH GeniPad IOS 10.1 iPod touch (2nd gen) 4.2.1 iPad 2 IOS 9.3.5 iPhone 6 IOS 10 Magic Trackpad, Apple watch 2.0, an assortment of scanner(s), printer(s) and 5 eternal hd's

QUOTE(jchuzi @ Jun 20 2017, 09:19 PM) *
I only built one Heathkit, an auto multimeter that I used happily for many years when it was still possible for a non-mechanic to work on his car. Back then, there were carburetors, and distributors had points and condenser. (The younger generation doesn't know what those were.) I also built Dynakits, including an amp, pre-amp and tuner. They were fun to build and a good money-saver.

I also built a Multi-meter, then upon discharge from the Navy, while trying to find gainful employment, embarked on building an EICO stero amp. Big job. After getting it all done it took another 2 weeks to find a "cold" solder joint that had prevented the thing from "amping". It was still working after 20 plus years when it got donated. Great experience, and Great product.

Daryl toothgrin.gif

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jun 21 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #6

TS πάλινδρμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I built a Nixie Tube Multimeter that still works but isn't very accurate; I'd like to figure out how to turn it into a clock because Nixies are so neat! I've also got a Short Wave Receiver which I bought incomplete at a yard sale; it was missing a few parts but had the construction manuals so they weren't hard to find! It works I think although on a back shelf in a closet so I'm not sure!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Jun 30 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #7

Jane

Member No.: 979
My Mac(s): 3 Macs, two 27 inchers running Yosemite 10.10.5, and one 24 inch 10.6.8.

Brings back fun memories.
When I was a kid, I used both companies, built a lot of sterios and other things.
Short wave radios were fun back then too.

I built them for many family members, friends at college and more.
Never charged them for labor either, just the cost of the kits.

I still had a big Dynakit stereo with its lovely big vac tubes, until about 20 years ago when I gave it away.
There even might be some more in our attic, maybe I should look up there someday.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:44 AM