IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Right to Repair Movement Changes Apple Corporate Behavior!
gunug
post Jun 18 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #1

TS πάλινδρóμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I'm sure this is necessary and a hopeful sign:

For the better part of the last decade, every design decision Apple has made has seemingly been in the pursuit of making its products thinner and more beautiful at the expense of upgradability and repairability. Those decisions helped Apple sell millions of phones and computers, but they also helped create a movement that rejects the idea that expensive gadgets should be disposable.

It's increasingly looking like Apple can no longer ignore the repair insurgency that's been brewing: The right to repair movement is winning, and Apple's behavior is changing.

In the last few months, Apple has made political, design, and customer service decisions that suggest the right to repair movement is having a real impact on the company's operations. Apple announced that the new Mac Pro will be modular and upgradable, and it quietly made the CPU and RAM upgradable in its new 21.5-inch iMac for the first time since 2014.

Last year, Apple announced a replacement program for iPhone 6 Plus devices with "touch disease," a problem that affects hundreds of thousands of iPhone owners and was discovered and hyped by the independent repair community. Apple reversed course on "Error 53,"—which bricked phones repaired by third parties—after widespread outrage. Apple also announced that it would start to honor the warranties of devices repaired by third party shops, a problem that I reported on last year.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/...apple-to-change

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 10:53 PM