Reply to this topicStart new topic
> upcoming app for monitoring SSDs
jchuzi
post Jun 15 2017, 05:48 AM
Post #1

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

This looks like it might be useful: Hard drive and SSD status monitor utility SMART Alec coming from OWC for macOS in July

--------------------
Jon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 15 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.5

Are you sure this isn't a late 'announcement'? Maybe it should have been published one the first of the month back in April?! Thinking.gif

I've never heard of an app that can monitor a drives SMART status on any external device. Perhaps this app will require High Sierra?

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 15 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #3

TS Addict

My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jun 15 2017, 09:38 AM) *
Are you sure this isn't a late 'announcement'? Maybe it should have been published one the first of the month back in April?! Thinking.gif

I've never heard of an app that can monitor a drives SMART status on any external device. Perhaps this app will require High Sierra?

Monitoring SMART status on an external drive has long been available, but it depends on the chipset of the enclosure. Both of my enclosures make that possible.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 15 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

I'll have to check that when I get home. I have three of those OWC "toaster" drive holders (can't really call them "enclosures"). Two for the iMac and one on the Mac mini, which has another true enclosure for a fourth drive. Each pair are connected via FW. I'm probably basing my "knowledge" on what I see in Disk Utility! Not always the latest and greatest app...

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 15 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #5

TS Addict

One of my enclosures is the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual and the other (although not actually an enclosure) is the OWC Drive Dock: Thunderbolt 2 + USB 3. Both are compatible with SMART.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 15 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

Guess that just shows how UN-smart I am! blush-anim-cl.gif

DU doesn't show the S.M.A.R.T. status the way I remember the older version did. You have to use the "Info" button and even then scroll dow or open the window so the bottom info is visible. rolleyes.gif

While my boot drive does show "S.M.A.R.T. status" as "Verified", the two external FW drives both claim to be "S.M.A.R.T. status : Not Supported". Both of those are the OWC "Voyager Q" HD Docks. USB2/3 FW 4/800. I suspect the key difference is the Thunderbolt or USB 3 connection(s).

I still don't think FW can access the S.M.A.R.T. status on external drives. And this Mac has only USB 2 ports. Thus, I doubt the $10 app will be of much benefit to me, but it could be for many, especially with the data collection scheme which will help monitor particular drive models/brands.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:47 AM