IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Ransomware targeting Mac Platform!, (I don't know if we're up with remedies currently)
gunug
post Jun 14 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #1

TS πάλινδρμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

According to the BBC we have to look out for ransomware on Macs now:

Experts said they represented a threat because their creators were letting anyone use them for free.
The two programs were uncovered by the security firms Fortinet and AlienVault, which found a portal on the Tor "dark web" network that acted as a shopfront for both.
In a blog, Fortinet said the site claimed that the creators behind it were professional software engineers with "extensive experience" of creating working code.
Those wishing to use either of the programs had been urged to get in touch and provide details of how they wanted the malware to be set up. The malware's creators had said that payments made by ransomware victims would be split between themselves and their customers.
Researchers at Fortinet contacted the ransomware writers pretending they were interested in using the product and, soon afterwards, were sent a sample of the malware.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40261693

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 14 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

My cynical side says it appears to be mostly a free add for companies that promote 'malware-cleaning'/'malware protection' apps.

If this malware can install itself with absolutely no input from the Mac user, it is, indeed, a major concern. If it only installs after asking permission, it is still up to the user to know what he is doing. In my opinion, a really useful article would have included this critical information. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jun 14 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #3

TS πάλινδρμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

Blame the BBC! There is a link to one of the reporting websites here:

https://blog.fortinet.com/2017/06/09/macran...re-as-a-service

The details are disappointing to one who has a higher opinion of human nature!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 14 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #4

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jun 14 2017, 07:40 AM) *
My cynical side says it appears to be mostly a free add for companies that promote 'malware-cleaning'/'malware protection' apps.

Totally agree, as a google search was mostly those ads. dry.gif rolleyes.gif

If this malware can install itself with absolutely no input from the Mac user, it is, indeed, a major concern. If it only installs after asking permission, it is still up to the user to know what he is doing. In my opinion, a really useful article would have included this critical information. rolleyes.gif

Okay, read both articles, and maybe I'm missing something but I still don't understand HOW this is installed on a Mac? Is it an attachment that a so-called pal sends? Or is it software I might download and install? Do any of these folks speak in plain English and not geek-English? tongue.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 14 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

I think "fortinet" was one of companies reporting the problem. They would probably benefit from people buying their 'protection services'. OTOH, they might not want to reveal how easy it might be to avoid the 'problem', said the cynic. Thinking.gif blush-anim-cl.gif

Reminds me of a mass emailing I got this morning warning that another member of the group has had their email address/account "hacked". Of course, the 25+ recipients were all in the CC: field. But I'm sure none of them have any malware installed on their Windows machines that might 'harvest' the other 24+ addies... rolleyes.gif wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Jun 15 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #6

TS Maven

Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Another less-than-clear article: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/06/15...-7-days-to-pay/

The commenters take the author to task for not explaining HOW one would end up with the ransomeware installed - but I think the problem is that this is just a working example - the vector hasn't been selected. Presumably, it could masquerade as something completely legitimate, which is, I suspect, the plan. The authors could SAY something like that, rather than continuing to frustrate everyone. As always - install anything new from reputable sources, and if something looks off, stop. And do keep a backup that is not connected all the time.

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 04:09 AM