IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New features in this Falls OSs, Add them as you hear/see/feel...smell?
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 7 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Another TS thread mentions several improvements for a few Apple apps on the Desktop and a TidBITS issue speaks of some new stuff on iOS, WatchOS, etc.

Here's one valuable feature that I read about on NPR, but I'll link to the source so a particular Admin can read it. tease.gif
iPhone will get 'Do Not Disturb While Driving' mode in iOS 11 this fall Mike Snider, Useless Today. Unfortunately, many users will find the setting and disable it... wallbash.gif

News From the Horses Mouth. You can skip the video and scroll down the page to look at specific OS features in all devices or look at new stuff in various hardware. The video is mostly a sales pitch to Developers, but some of the demos could be interesting to normal folks! (Caution: Safe to skip the first ~3:25! Trust me! rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 7 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I love the whole don't disturb me I'm driving thing. I will definitely use it, as I have a few kids who keep texting and texting, and I wind up pulling off the road when I find a safe spot (not easy on our 2 lanes roads), and texting back that I’m okay and will answer when I get to my destination. Drives me nuts to have the phone constantly pinging, plus it cuts in and overrides my iPod that is playing nice music.

I really like the looks of some of the new hardware. If I can swing it, I'll upgrade my iPad to the smallest of the new ones; but not sure I can swing a new desktop iMac. Mine is still chugging along, and I can probably get it to keep breathing for a couple more years.

My other big want is the "Home Pod". I have an echo, and it's great for being able to listen to certain local radio stations (I live in a hole where I can't get either AM or FM stations); but it's awful for playing my music as I have to install the Amazon app, and upload my music, which takes HOURS. If the Apple Home Pod will integrate with my iTunes music (even if I have to start backing it up in the cloud), and play some local radio stations, then I could doing the happy dance. cheer.gif

I'm also looking forward to High Sierra.

All in all, so far I like what I've heard from Apple this time around.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 7 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #3

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Here's something to keep in mind: High Sierra runs on all Sierra-capable hardware, starts process to kill 32-bit apps

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jun 9 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #4

TS πάλινδρóμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I thought it was interesting that some of the latest iMAC's can be thought to be upgradable if you're into it:

iFixit made the discovery by disassembling Apple's $1,299 mid-range 3.0GHz stock option, which includes 8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, a Radeon Pro 555 graphics card with 2GB of VRAM, and a 1TB 5400-RPM hard drive. After slicing through the adhesive that secures the 4K display to the iMac's housing and removing the power supply, hard drive, and fan, iFixit discovered that the memory modules aren't soldered onto the logic board like previous models, but instead sit in two removable SO-DIMM slots. Similarly, after detaching the heatsink and removing the warranty voiding stickers on the backside of the logic board, iFixit found that the Intel SR32W Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake processor sits in a standard LGA 1151 CPU socket, making it possible to replace or upgrade the CPU without a reflow station.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+...own/92170
This isn't too difficult looking, and the entire process is there; it would probably void the Applecare if you still have it!
Reason for edit: to fix link; and close tag for quote--kimmer

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 9 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Snowball

QUOTE(gunug @ Jun 9 2017, 08:39 AM) *
I thought it was interesting that some of the latest iMAC's can be thought to be upgradable if you're into it:

iFixit made the discovery by disassembling Apple's $1,299 mid-range 3.0GHz stock option, which includes 8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, a Radeon Pro 555 graphics card with 2GB of VRAM, and a 1TB 5400-RPM hard drive. After slicing through the adhesive that secures the 4K display to the iMac's housing and removing the power supply, hard drive, and fan, iFixit discovered that the memory modules aren't soldered onto the logic board like previous models, but instead sit in two removable SO-DIMM slots. Similarly, after detaching the heatsink and removing the warranty voiding stickers on the backside of the logic board, iFixit found that the Intel SR32W Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake processor sits in a standard LGA 1151 CPU socket, making it possible to replace or upgrade the CPU without a reflow station.

I couldn't find this quote anywhere. Could you share the link, please, so that I can read the entire article.

Also, your link had too many quotation marks, so I cleaned that up. smile.gif

...it would probably void the Applecare if you still have it!

I think it DEFINITELY WOULD void your AppleCare. After all, you are "... removing the warranty voiding stickers on the backside of the logic board". wink.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 9 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

toothgrin.gif Great!!! I have a small roll of double-sided tape I was looking to use some place! Now if I can just find that extra i7 16 core processor I have... inspect.gif

You're right Kimmer, about the warranty, whether or not Apple Care is current or not. But when was the last time you actually needed or used one of those warranties?! dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 9 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jun 9 2017, 12:25 PM) *
You're right Kimmer, about the warranty, whether or not Apple Care is current or not. But when was the last time you actually needed or used one of those warranties?! dntknw.gif

Twice. Way back in the 1980's laugh.gif , and then in 2007. Must admit, I don't buy Apple Care any longer as I live too far from a recognized store, and boxing and shipping is a pain. I know a couple of Apple whiz folks, and I let them do this stuff. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jun 9 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #8

TS πάλινδρóμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

Thanks Kimmer; I short cutted into the article from elsewhere and the quote was there but I didn't search for it in the other link. I'll ferret this out tomorrow; I've got to get to KC for a family wedding dinner tonight! Must try not to make things more difficult for myself and others!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 9 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Snowball

QUOTE(gunug @ Jun 9 2017, 03:06 PM) *
Thanks Kimmer; I short cutted into the article from elsewhere and the quote was there but I didn't search for it in the other link. I'll ferret this out tomorrow; I've got to get to KC for a family wedding dinner tonight! Must try not to make things more difficult for myself and others!

I may have found it at MacRumors:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/08/4k-ima...ovable-ram-cpu/

Interesting read, and a good find, gunug.

Hope you enjoyed the wedding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jun 10 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Snowball

Siri's new voices—scroll down and play the video.

https://www.macobserver.com/news/ios-11-dev...iris-new-voice/

Personally, I like her current American voice and I don't like the two new American voices at all. I do, however, find the new male British voice quite sexy and pleasant to listen to—and I'd probably start 'talking' with him just to hear 'him' reply. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 04:13 AM