Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iMac has gremlins. Need magician or sledgehammer, Too many issues to list
dakota
post May 28 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #26

Super Duper Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 128
My Mac(s): iMac 27 Intel 3.2, OS 10.11.6. 4 GB memory. iMac 27 Intel 3.1 4 GB memory Time Capsule, two firewire drives, Epson R2400 printer, Epson Charm photo printer, scanner, Neat scanner.

QUOTE(dakota @ May 28 2017, 01:57 PM) *
QUOTE(kimmer @ May 28 2017, 11:14 AM) *
QUOTE(dakota @ May 27 2017, 09:21 PM) *
Kimmer posted elsewhere about the 1Password problem, but his fix...
Just for clarification, I'm a lady, not a guy. wink.gif
Ditto, although not nexessarily a "lady" at times toothgrin.gif
QUOTE(Paddy @ May 28 2017, 12:42 PM) *
QUOTE(dakota @ May 28 2017, 10:50 AM) *
[attachment=3390:Screen_S...35.38_AM.png]Spent hours researching and finally found this by going to computer-HD-Library, etc. Tried to uninstall and got an error message. Can NOT uninstall. With all this on the computer, a search for anything with the name Bitdefender shows nothing.
So you ran the uninstaller and got an error? (just to be clear...)Is all that BitDefender stuff in your Library->Application Support folder? (That's where you were told to look, btw)If so, then I'd try dragging it all to the trash and deleting it - don't forget to empty the trash. If it's somewhere else, I'd still try deleting it.If that doesn't work, then it's on to the Terminal method.BTW - if your existing clone isn't working, try making a new one. Of course if your DRIVE is the issue (either the installed one or the backup) then this might not be possible. A non-working clone is relatively useless - you're not losing anything by erasing it and making a new one. You DO have TM backups, so there are backups - it's not as if you're eliminating all backups in redoing your clone.I'd suggest running Disk Utility etc. on the clone to check its health before you do anything - at least check to see if there is anything that comes up that might indicate why it won't work as a startup drive for your iMac.The other thing you can consider here, since you have two iMacs and backups - redo the clone for the troublesome iMac, if you can (if not, you'll have to rely on the TimeMachine backups), erase the drive on the troublesome iMac and start over. You're spending a lot of time trying to fix this - it might be easier to start fresh, at this point. Just an idea. (And then, copy documents etc., but reinstall apps if you can.) I have no idea how much "stuff" you have on this iMac and how difficult any of this will be, of course.
It was in "Agent", which I never would have opened before.

Alternatively, click on Go from the menu bar and select Computer. Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Bitdefender > Central > Agent and run the BitdefenderUninstaller.

3. In the new window that will pop up, click on Uninstall.

4. Confirm the process by entering the administrator password. The uninstalling will begin.

5. When the process is complete click on Close. A web page will open asking you to complete a survey. Your feedback would be much appreciated. If you donít have the time, simply close the page.

6. Go to Macintosh HD > Library and move the Bitdefender folder to Trash. You will be asked for the administrator password again.

7. If you still have the Bitdefender icon in Dock, right-click on it, select Options > Remove from Dock

NOTE: The scan logs and the Quarantine will be remain at Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Antivirus for Mac. If you have important files that have been quarantined, it is necessary to reinstall Bitdefender in order to get them back. Otherwise, you may move to Trash the entire Antivirus for Mac folder.

NOTE: The uninstaller will also remove Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus or Bitdefender Virus Scanner if they are installed on your Mac along with Antivirus for Mac.

Can't find a solution for your problem? Open an email ticket and we will answer the question or concern in the shortest time possible.
Rate this article: 1 2 3 4 5 Submit
3.9 / 5 ( 106 votes )
Tweet

--------------------
To err is human, to forgive canine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paddy
post May 28 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #27

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Well, as I said - if the uninstaller doesn't work, now that you've located its hiding place, try the drag and drop method of trashing it. Just make sure you get it all as per all the locations listed in their instructions.

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 28 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #28

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Just make sure you get it all as per all the locations listed in their instructions.
And as suggested elsewhere in this very hread... rolleyes.gif whoosh.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 29 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #29

Super Duper Poster

My Mac(s): iMac 27 Intel 3.2, OS 10.11.6. 4 GB memory. iMac 27 Intel 3.1 4 GB memory Time Capsule, two firewire drives, Epson R2400 printer, Epson Charm photo printer, scanner, Neat scanner.

I just sent another email to itdefender. I restarted the computer last night and voila! - there was Bitdefender up and running after I had quit out of it. There is now a Bitdefender folder in the Library itself, and there is a folder in Agent in Application Support. I spent the whole night going through forums on this travesty of an app and discovered just about everyone has problems with it. It apparently slows down computers and interferes with other apps. I also discovered that moving parts of it to the trash will not work. It apparently places a multitude of hidden files all over the computer, and will never be eradicated without the uninstall. Here's hoping Bitdefender has an answer. Its almost as though they don't want you to be able to get rid of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 29 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #30

Patience is for humans!

Putting things in the trash never deletes them. Just like your trash at home, you still must empty it, usually weekly. Fortunately Apple gives us an "Empty Trash" menu item.

How about a screen shot of the "Agent" thing. I know about LaunchAgents but never heard of just plain "Agent".

Also still waiting on screen shot of "Login Items" list. If nothing there with "Bitdender" label, the problem is in the HD/Library/LanchAgent or LaunchDaemon area... Just like I posted several days ago. You do read all posts after your last message, right? dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post Jun 15 2017, 11:47 PM
Post #31

Super Duper Poster

Problem solved. Moved five days ago, and now have cable instead of FIOS. Computer is back to normal, as fast and problem free as it used to be. All of the issues were being caused by Verizon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 16 2017, 06:13 AM
Post #32

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

QUOTE(dakota @ Jun 16 2017, 12:47 AM) *
Problem solved. Moved five days ago, and now have cable instead of FIOS. Computer is back to normal, as fast and problem free as it used to be. All of the issues were being caused by Verizon.
Another reason why I won't have anything to do with Verizon.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 16 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #33

Patience is for humans!

All of the issues were being caused by Verizon
Sorry, that is purely anecdotal not real evidence. While an Internet connection could be slowing things down while you had a browser or some other Internet using app was running, it could have been an app that Verizon installs. However, that would have been easy to check. We don't fix problems with solutions that are not repeatable. Of course, you could prove your theory by moving back to your previous apartment and reconnecting to Verizon... laughhard.gif scram.gif

The biggest change you made was to have the Mac completely shut down for at least several hours, if not days.

Your "cable" is now simply a copper wire rather than a (potentially) much faster optical fiber. Who is your new ISP?

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post Jun 25 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #34

Super Duper Poster

Moved, switched from FIOS to Cablevision. All problems are gone. I will never understand it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 10:53 PM