Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iMac has gremlins. Need magician or sledgehammer, Too many issues to list
dakota
post May 24 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Super Duper Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 128
My Mac(s): iMac 27 Intel 3.2, OS 10.11.6. 4 GB memory. iMac 27 Intel 3.1 4 GB memory Time Capsule, two firewire drives, Epson R2400 printer, Epson Charm photo printer, scanner, Neat scanner.

Okay, tech savvy people. I am at a loss as to what to do with my 27" iMac (3.1 MHz, mid 2011 with Sierra). There are so many issues, I can not even list them all, but I will relate as many as I can. Constant spinning cursor (interminably long), programs which stop responding, and then eventually start responding again. If I leave the "force quit applications" window open, I can see the open applications change from responding to not responding with almost the frequency of flashing lights. Spotlight stopped indexing, I think, but when I tried the fix of adding the HD to the privacy window and then removing it, I got a privacy error involving lack of permission to add or delete anything to that window.

1Password can not find 1password mini, and the fixes on their site do not work. Emails which I delete reappear in the unread mail window, minus the unread green dot. A second delete removes them. If I try to print, my printer window comes up and then nothing happens other than "looking for printer". If I do a forced restart, it can take almost ten minutes for everything to load, and even longer till the icons appear on the desktop.

Bitdefender virus check stalls and about sixteen hours after I started it, it is still running, or in most cases, just stalled, but so far nothing shows in the window as a problem found. Disk First Aid said the drive was corrupt, so I ran repair from recovery and it said it was repairing the file system, found some problems which it "fixed". NOT. I used DiskWarrior. I ran a malware program. I tried to start up from my backup firewire, which according to SuperDuper had successfully created a "bootable" drive, and it was grayed out, certainly not accessible to boot from.

I can't wipe the drive and load it from my other computer because what is on the two is not identical. This is my 3.1 MHz, mid 2011 iMac with Sierra - yes, I was having "some" problems before the update, but things are far worse now.

Both computers are on a wireless network, this one in a different room from the other one. Fortunately, I did not update my other computer. Even as I am typing this, I wind up intermittently with a spinning cursor for anywhere up to a minute or more. I am trying not to do anything extreme since I am moving in two weeks and hope to at least get the computers set up with the new provider.
If I have to trash this computer at that point and start over with a new one, losing everything on here, or if I have to call in a tech (who will probably advise wiping the drive!), that is what I have to do, but I was hoping I could find an answer which would negate the necessity of kissing this one goodbye.

I am sure I have missed a few of the problems I am having, but I think anyone reading this sure as heck gets the gist. BTW, every once in a while, this computer starts acting totally normally, with no problems at all, and can remain in that state for an hour or more, mostly late at night. Any advice other than to throw it out the window???? Thanks in advance.

--------------------
To err is human, to forgive canine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post May 25 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #2

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Have you run any diagnostics/repairs with Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro or similar? What happens if you start in Safe Mode? Although I can't give a diagnosis without knowing what those utilities might find, my first impression is that the hard drive is failing. It's certainly a possibility.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 25 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Wow! How did the suggestions go for the last thread you started May 13, 2017? Thinking.gif

Could you please pick a problem (from this new thread) and delete the others? Actually, create as many threads as you want, but one for each app or problem. It will even be easier for you to report results on any suggested tasks. It will also benefit others, in the future, when they look for solutions for specific problems. Thanks!

BTW, nothing you talk about sounds like a virus, which are still extremely rare on OS X, anyway. They do sound much like your thread back on May 13; RAM and Disk related.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post May 25 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I'm going to take a stab at a few things; and much of this was discussed in your original thread.
  • As xABD has asked, what have you tried from your original thread and what results did you get?
  • As both Jon and xABD have asked, did you run that new version of DW? If so, what did it tell you?
  • As Jon said, it could be HD failure, in which case the answer is a new HD.
  • If the HD is good, have you ordered and installed new RAM? That's an absolute must at this point.
  • Is your HD full? If so, you'll need to back things up and remove them.
  • I don't know anything about Bitdefender virus check, but it doesn't have a good rating at the app store. I've not had a virus on my Mac in many, many, many years and I don't believe you need a virus checker. I'd dump it.

The 1Password mini issue: Make sure you don't have any copies of 1P on any external drive. If so, unmount the drive(s), then launch 1P, go to the 1Password Menu, and select Install Browser Extensions... This has always solved this problem for me.

Attached File  1Pmenu.jpg ( 34.93K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 25 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Super Duper Poster

My Mac(s): iMac 27 Intel 3.2, OS 10.11.6. 4 GB memory. iMac 27 Intel 3.1 4 GB memory Time Capsule, two firewire drives, Epson R2400 printer, Epson Charm photo printer, scanner, Neat scanner.

Okay. Trying to answer everyone here. Drive only half full. Did run disk Utility and Repair from recovery (Part of the readout was that the HD appeared to be OK), ran DiskWarrior. As for my original thread, Yes I ordered the newest version of DiskWarrior on flash drive, which I ran, supposedly successfully. Yes, I can order more memory, but how do I know if the drive is failing or whether it is something else? I was asked above to separate out the issues, but they are all part and parcel of the same large problem. Right now Printer Proxy is not responding on this computer, and yet even with the recent problems, I was able to print. Now I can not. I was going to delete my printers and put them back, but when I try, System Prefs stops responding. Yes, I did have a copy of 1Password on my backup, and had never had a problem till all these other things started to happen. I did remove it, but still couldn't get it to connect. I am at a loss to know whether the problem is a failing HD, or something else. I did call in a tech this week and almost kicked him out of the apartment. He did give me a lecture on memory, criticized everything I had on my computer ( all junk!) and told me he knew better than I did, because "I have been doing this for 45 years". He did get my printers up and running on the other computers which I was having a problem with ( I had actually never added them and when I finally decided I had better do so because of the problem on this computer, I could not add them for some reason), but I didn't let him anywhere near this computer because all I really wanted to do at that point was toss him out a window.

I move in two weeks and am hoping that at least I can get the computers set up on a network and then make a decision as to what to do with this one. I just don't have the time right now to work with this situation. The biggest question is what is wrong, and what am I facing here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post May 25 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #6

TS Addict

My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

This may not be definitive, but you could test SMART status. Launch Disk Utility and select the drive itself (the topmost icon, not any partitions which will be below it). At the bottom, you'll see SMART. If it says anything other than "verified", the drive is definitely on its way out. Unfortunately, being labeled as "verified" does not guarantee that it's definitely OK.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Paddy
post May 25 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #7

TS Maven

Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Dakota, fire up Activity Monitor (it's in the Applications->Utilities folder) and have a look. Check all the various things from the tabs along the top - Memory being the most interesting at this point. Is "Memory Pressure" - the graph at the bottom - green or is it straying into the red? What apps are gobbling up the memory? What apps are using CPU cycles? You can post screen shots if you want help in interpreting what you're seeing.

I still think memory may be the biggest issue here, but until you install more, we won't know for sure.

Failing drives can behave badly of course. Have you tried booting your iMac FROM an external cloned drive? If it runs better from that, then that might be a clue.

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post May 25 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #8

TS Addict

Here's another thought: macOS Sierra: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 26 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #9

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(Paddy @ May 25 2017, 08:52 PM) *
Dakota, fire up Activity Monitor (it's in the Applications->Utilities folder) and have a look. Check all the various things from the tabs along the top - Memory being the most interesting at this point. Is "Memory Pressure" - the graph at the bottom - green or is it straying into the red? What apps are gobbling up the memory? What apps are using CPU cycles? You can post screen shots if you want help in interpreting what you're seeing.

I still think memory may be the biggest issue here, but until you install more, we won't know for sure.

Failing drives can behave badly of course. Have you tried booting your iMac FROM an external cloned drive? If it runs better from that, then that might be a clue.

Well, part of the problems I am having is the inability to start up from my supposedly cloned backup. It is grayed out and definitely not bootable. Somehow I am beginning to suspect Bitdefender, which I installed not that long ago and I think the problems may have started around that time and simply gotten progressively worse. I am trying to uninstall it as per Bitdefender's instructions, but I am supposed to find an uninstaller in my utilities folder and it is NOT there. I emailed them and was instructed to fill out a problem report but the link they sent me led to a Windows page, so I just emailed them again. Right now this computer is working flawlessly, and I have to wonder whether Bitdefender's intermittent scanning is causing the problem. I just need a way to get rid of it.

Someone else just posted about a 1Passord problem, which is also among the myriad problems I am having, and I have to wonder if he has a virus program scanning as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 26 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Patience is for humans!

It sounds like you may have already gotten rid of BitDefender. If not, check all the menu items for it. There is sometimes an 'uninstall' item, often in the app's main menu.

Most Mac apps do not need an "uninstaller". If it is an application it usually can be stopped/removed by simply selecting its icon in a Finder window and dragging it to the Trash or even using the Finder->File->Move to Trash menu. Don't forget that you still need to Empty the Trash! Double-click the Trash can or use the Finder->Empty Trash menu. There will usually still be bits and pieces of the install like plist files or even documents the app created. But those usually take very few bytes and can be ignored.

Another easy step in uninstalling an app is to check the System Preferences->Users & Groups, Login Items tab and look for the app or anything with its name in the list of "items" that "will open automatically when you log in:". You will probably need to 'unlock' the pref to make your changes take effect. Just click on the 'lock' icon in the lower, left-hand corner of the pref window and enter your Admin password. Select the item and then click the "-" button below the item list.

It sometimes helps to do a "cold" startup of the Mac after making these kinds of changes. By "cold" I mean a complete Shut down and then a power-butten Start.

I seriously urge you not to use any kind of "cleaner" app. These can sometimes remove things without warning you that the file may be required by another app or even the OS. Even when they give you a warning, the text must be read carefully and with a complete understanding of what it says. The fact is, no one developer (or even a company) can know exactly what every file on a machine is really for or what app(s) use it. "A Mac is not a PC."

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 26 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #11

Super Duper Poster

I can find no existence of Bitdefender on the computer at all other than the dock icon when the main screen is running and the icon in the menubar which shows when it is scanning, preferences, turning off autopilot and allows you to open the main window. I have searched for anything with the name Bitdefender and come up empty. For the time being I have at least quit out of it, but I am sure it is lurking somewhere. No, I doubt I have gotten rid of it because if I go to the menubar icon and click on "open main window" it will be on my desktop in all its green and black glory, and the dock will show the icon with an active status.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 26 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #12

Super Duper Poster

A lot of my memory is being used (Yes, I did order more memory but will have to get someone to install it). I am using roughly 3.50 out of 4 gigs. Activity monitor showed pressure green, then turning to yellow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paddy
post May 26 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #13

TS Maven

My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

QUOTE(dakota @ May 27 2017, 12:00 AM) *

A lot of my memory is being used (Yes, I did order more memory but will have to get someone to install it). I am using roughly 3.50 out of 4 gigs. Activity monitor showed pressure green, then turning to yellow.

Dakota, you don't need to hire someone to install your RAM for you - it really is ridiculously easy.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-...eplacement/7570

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 27 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #14

Patience is for humans!

I have searched for anything with the name Bitdefender and come up empty.
1. Kindly list the areas and methods used for this search. If we don't know where you've searched, we can't make suggestions as to other locations.

2. Do you realize that there are actually three directories labeled "Library" on your Mac?

3. Did you look in your "System Preferences->Users & Groups, Login Items tab" mentioned above?

4. Do you know how to make screen/window captures?

A computer is nothing but a logic machine. Therefore, logic must be used to trouble-shoot any problems. wink.gif

If you can change a lightbulb, you can change your RAM modules. The only tool you need is a very small tip screwdriver. Please watch the video linked to in several posts to you. thumbup.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 27 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #15

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ May 27 2017, 09:55 AM) *
I have searched for anything with the name Bitdefender and come up empty.
1. Kindly list the areas and methods used for this search. If we don't know where you've searched, we can't make suggestions as to other locations.

2. Do you realize that there are actually three directories labeled "Library" on your Mac?

3. Did you look in your "System Preferences->Users & Groups, Login Items tab" mentioned above?

4. Do you know how to make screen/window captures?

A computer is nothing but a logic machine. Therefore, logic must be used to trouble-shoot any problems. wink.gif

If you can change a lightbulb, you can change your RAM modules. The only tool you need is a very small tip screwdriver. Please watch the video linked to in several posts to you. thumbup.gif

Okay, in the order of your comments and questions:

1) I followed Bitdefender's advice about looking for the uninstaller in the Utilities folder. Not there. I then did a search on the entire computer for "Antivirus for Mac", Bitdefender", "uninstaller", and came up empty. Of course, another problem I am having with this iMac is that Spotlight is not indexing as far as I can see, and I can not add the drive to the privacy window and then remove it. I get a message to do with lack of permissions for adding or removing anything from that window.

2) Yes, I do know that, and there is nothing in any of them.

3) Yes. Nothing.

4) Yes.

To be honest, I have not looked up instructions for adding RAM, but as far as it being as easy as replacing a lightbulb- I live in an apartment with ten foot ceilings and small 50 watt spots which are the size of the opening in the high hats and recessed about two inches. No, I can not remove and replace a lightbulb here.smile.gif

What I have done so far is to turn off Autopilot on Bitdefender, and then I quit out of it on my desktop. None of my apps seem to keep turning from responding to not responding on a constant basis ( as a mater of fact they are responding across the line with not one of them ceasing to respond. The computer is faster all of a sudden, so I really think the problem is Bitdefender. I did read up on their "problem" page and it seems as though it is capable of slowing down a Mac. I am able to type without issues, and loading sites is all of a sudden faster, but that doesn't eliminate all traces of the program from the computer and I am being ignored by Bitdefender.

BTW, Bitdefender is showing up on Activity Monitor, even after my quitting out of it, and while it is not gobbling up memory, it is using quite a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 27 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #16

Patience is for humans!

OK! We now know some of where you looked but still not how. Exactly where in the "Library" folders did you look?

I now assume that you depend on Spotlight for all your searching. I hardly ever use it, but it's better than nothing... when it has indexed your drive. Still, I'd suggest using the "Find" function in a Finder window. It's still not perfect, but it can do a better job that Spotlight.

Second, I'll look at the BitDefender site and see what the company/developer 'name' is. Often plists use that in the name, especially if the company makes more than one app/product. Apparently, without installing it, the name maybe the common "com.bitdefender.plist" name. That wold appear in either your user_name/Library/Preferences folder or, if you allowed all users to run it, in your HD/Library/Preferences folder. I doubt it is the HD/System/Library/Preferences folder, but it never hurts to look.

Additionally, you should look in each HD and user Libraries "Application Support", "Extensions", "LaunchAgents", "LaunchDaemons", "PreferencePanes", "Preferences", "PrivilegedHelperTools", "StartupItems" folders. DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH ANY "Bitdefender" labeled file you may find. Just report finding it and the exact path to it.

The fact that this app's icon shows up in the Dock is normal; any user facing app (basically it can have a window allowing user input even if it's not always visible) shows up there unless it is designed to only run in the background. That it shows in Activity Monitor even when you have Quit it means there is an extension or daemon or helper still and probably always running. We must find that and delete it from the drive.

If your pending move and work prohibits spending the time to search and document what needs to be done, just turn of the frustrating machine until you have more free time.

And please take the time to view the RAM instal video. If you can plug in a toaster, you can install RAM modules. If you don't have a toaster, do you have anything else that plugs into a wall outlet (like a computer...)? Do you actually not have any lamps in your apartment?! tease.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 27 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #17

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ May 27 2017, 12:08 PM) *
OK! We now know some of where you looked but still not how. Exactly where in the "Library" folders did you look?

I now assume that you depend on Spotlight for all your searching. I hardly ever use it, but it's better than nothing... when it has indexed your drive. Still, I'd suggest using the "Find" function in a Finder window. It's still not perfect, but it can do a better job that Spotlight.

Second, I'll look at the BitDefender site and see what the company/developer 'name' is. Often plists use that in the name, especially if the company makes more than one app/product. Apparently, without installing it, the name maybe the common "com.bitdefender.plist" name. That wold appear in either your user_name/Library/Preferences folder or, if you allowed all users to run it, in your HD/Library/Preferences folder. I doubt it is the HD/System/Library/Preferences folder, but it never hurts to look.

Additionally, you should look in each HD and user Libraries "Application Support", "Extensions", "LaunchAgents", "LaunchDaemons", "PreferencePanes", "Preferences", "PrivilegedHelperTools", "StartupItems" folders. DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH ANY "Bitdefender" labeled file you may find. Just report finding it and the exact path to it.

The fact that this app's icon shows up in the Dock is normal; any user facing app (basically it can have a window allowing user input even if it's not always visible) shows up there unless it is designed to only run in the background. That it shows in Activity Monitor even when you have Quit it means there is an extension or daemon or helper still and probably always running. We must find that and delete it from the drive.

If your pending move and work prohibits spending the time to search and document what needs to be done, just turn of the frustrating machine until you have more free time.

And please take the time to view the RAM instal video. If you can plug in a toaster, you can install RAM modules. If you don't have a toaster, do you have anything else that plugs into a wall outlet (like a computer...)? Do you actually not have any lamps in your apartment?! tease.gif

Thanks. You're adorable. harhar.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 27 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #18

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(dakota @ May 27 2017, 12:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ May 27 2017, 12:08 PM) *

Thanks. You're adorable. harhar.gif

Seven "com.bitdefender.plist" in Preferences. Nothing in Launch Agents, I have no LaunchDaemon folder, nothing in preference panes, I do not have a folder for privileged helper tools or startup items for that matter. Nothing in Application Support, and I do not seem to have an extensions folder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 27 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #19

Patience is for humans!

OK. :thumbsup:

Not sure how you are viewing things in Finder. I find Column view more helpful when looking for stuff. Even List view can be used. Icon view just wastes too much screen real estate, in on a 27" screen.

Anyway, sounds like you've been in the username/Library. I don't have a LaunchDaemons folder in there, either.

Also sounds like you haven't quite got to the HD/Library/ yet. Here's what it looks like in a Finder window set to Column view:

Boot HD/Library/Extensions

Boot HD/Library/Application Support

Boot HD/Library/LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons

Boot HD/Library/Preferences

Can you navigate to these locations and report back?

It also would be great to know the name of the Bitdefender.xyz you see in Activity Monitor.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Paddy
post May 27 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #20

TS Maven

FYI - couple of things I've read indicate that using their uninstaller is the only way to actually kill BitDefender.

See: https://antivirusinsider.com/remove-uninsta...ender-from-mac/

If that's the case, I'd suggest reinstalling it (yeah, I know, seems counterintuitive...but it's sometimes the ONLY way to take out the trash...) and then running the Uninstaller. Don't try to manually remove it - as you've discovered, it's hiding there, somewhere.

And if that doesn't work...well, there is the Terminal method, which is all explained here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...-work-1722.html

If you're going to do that, please make sure that you have a cloned backup before you start. If you screw up in the Terminal, you can really mess things up, especially when removing things. That said, it should work if you follow the directions exactly and make sure you have typed in all the commands EXACTLY as shown.

Clearly, the fact that BitDefender shows this method indicates that they KNOW there is a problem with getting rid of the damn thing. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 27 2017, 11:21 PM
Post #21

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(Paddy @ May 27 2017, 05:57 PM) *
FYI - couple of things I've read indicate that using their uninstaller is the only way to actually kill BitDefender.

See: https://antivirusinsider.com/remove-uninsta...ender-from-mac/

If that's the case, I'd suggest reinstalling it (yeah, I know, seems counterintuitive...but it's sometimes the ONLY way to take out the trash...) and then running the Uninstaller. Don't try to manually remove it - as you've discovered, it's hiding there, somewhere.

And if that doesn't work...well, there is the Terminal method, which is all explained here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...-work-1722.html

If you're going to do that, please make sure that you have a cloned backup before you start. If you screw up in the Terminal, you can really mess things up, especially when removing things. That said, it should work if you follow the directions exactly and make sure you have typed in all the commands EXACTLY as shown.

Clearly, the fact that BitDefender shows this method indicates that they KNOW there is a problem with getting rid of the damn thing. dry.gif

Well, that will not work. I already did reinstall, and there is NO uninstaller in the Utilities folder, where it is supposed to be. As for the clone, since I was not able to start up from it in order to check the main drive, it may be moot that there is a backup. Somehow I think Bitdefender and Sierra are both playing a role here. One or both are causing multiple problems, and until more people post online that this is happening, we will not know of a solution.

Kimmer posted elsewhere about the 1Password problem, but his fix ( the one recommended by Agiebits), did not work for me, and although they are telling people they have to remove copies of the program on backup drives, I did that to no avail. My other iMac backs up to Time Machine AND to a clone with SuperDuper, and I haven't removed copies of 1Password on that computer. 1Password works just fine, however it has not been upgraded to Sierra and it does not have Bitdefender installed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 28 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #22

Super Duper Poster

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_05_28_at_10.35.38_AM.png ( 80.29K ) Number of downloads: 9
Spent hours researching and finally found this by going to computer-HD-Library, etc. Tried to uninstall and got an error message. Can NOT uninstall. With all this on the computer, a search for anything with the name Bitdefender shows nothing.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_05_28_at_10.35.38_AM.png ( 80.29K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
kimmer
post May 28 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #23

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(dakota @ May 27 2017, 09:21 PM) *
Kimmer posted elsewhere about the 1Password problem, but his fix...

Just for clarification, I'm a lady, not a guy. wink.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Paddy
post May 28 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #24

TS Maven

QUOTE(dakota @ May 28 2017, 10:50 AM) *
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_05_28_at_10.35.38_AM.png ( 80.29K ) Number of downloads: 9
Spent hours researching and finally found this by going to computer-HD-Library, etc. Tried to uninstall and got an error message. Can NOT uninstall. With all this on the computer, a search for anything with the name Bitdefender shows nothing.

So you ran the uninstaller and got an error? (just to be clear...)

Is all that BitDefender stuff in your Library->Application Support folder? (That's where you were told to look, btw)

If so, then I'd try dragging it all to the trash and deleting it - don't forget to empty the trash. If it's somewhere else, I'd still try deleting it.

If that doesn't work, then it's on to the Terminal method.

BTW - if your existing clone isn't working, try making a new one. Of course if your DRIVE is the issue (either the installed one or the backup) then this might not be possible. A non-working clone is relatively useless - you're not losing anything by erasing it and making a new one. You DO have TM backups, so there are backups - it's not as if you're eliminating all backups in redoing your clone.

I'd suggest running Disk Utility etc. on the clone to check its health before you do anything - at least check to see if there is anything that comes up that might indicate why it won't work as a startup drive for your iMac.

The other thing you can consider here, since you have two iMacs and backups - redo the clone for the troublesome iMac, if you can (if not, you'll have to rely on the TimeMachine backups), erase the drive on the troublesome iMac and start over. You're spending a lot of time trying to fix this - it might be easier to start fresh, at this point. Just an idea. (And then, copy documents etc., but reinstall apps if you can.) I have no idea how much "stuff" you have on this iMac and how difficult any of this will be, of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dakota
post May 28 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #25

Super Duper Poster

QUOTE(kimmer @ May 28 2017, 11:14 AM) *
QUOTE(dakota @ May 27 2017, 09:21 PM) *
Kimmer posted elsewhere about the 1Password problem, but his fix...
Just for clarification, I'm a lady, not a guy. wink.gif
Ditto, although not nexessarily a "lady" at times toothgrin.gif
QUOTE(Paddy @ May 28 2017, 12:42 PM) *
QUOTE(dakota @ May 28 2017, 10:50 AM) *
So you ran the uninstaller and got an error? (just to be clear...)Is all that BitDefender stuff in your Library->Application Support folder? (That's where you were told to look, btw)If so, then I'd try dragging it all to the trash and deleting it - don't forget to empty the trash. If it's somewhere else, I'd still try deleting it.If that doesn't work, then it's on to the Terminal method.BTW - if your existing clone isn't working, try making a new one. Of course if your DRIVE is the issue (either the installed one or the backup) then this might not be possible. A non-working clone is relatively useless - you're not losing anything by erasing it and making a new one. You DO have TM backups, so there are backups - it's not as if you're eliminating all backups in redoing your clone.I'd suggest running Disk Utility etc. on the clone to check its health before you do anything - at least check to see if there is anything that comes up that might indicate why it won't work as a startup drive for your iMac.The other thing you can consider here, since you have two iMacs and backups - redo the clone for the troublesome iMac, if you can (if not, you'll have to rely on the TimeMachine backups), erase the drive on the troublesome iMac and start over. You're spending a lot of time trying to fix this - it might be easier to start fresh, at this point. Just an idea. (And then, copy documents etc., but reinstall apps if you can.) I have no idea how much "stuff" you have on this iMac and how difficult any of this will be, of course.
It was in "Agent", which I never would have opened before.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 04:23 PM