Xairbusdriver
post Jun 27 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.5

Text Formatting

All formatting uses "tags" to tell the forum software where to apply the format or special item.

Creating Bold text uses:
CODE
[b] and [/b]

Creating Italic text uses:
CODE
[i] and [/i]

Creating Underlined text uses:
CODE
[u] and [/u]

Creating Bold, Italic text uses:
CODE
[b][i] and [/i][/b]

Creating subscript strike through superscript text uses:
CODE
[sub] and [/sub], [s][/s] and [sup] and [/sup] [b]tags[/b], respectively
The first tag tells the forum software to start formatting in the manner you want. It will continue using that format until you tell it to stop. That is why there will always be a pair of tags. One tag starts the formatting, the second one (the one with the "/") stops that formatting. The first tag opens the formatting engine, the second tag closes it. You, therefore, need to be careful when using more than one format on the same text, especially if there are more than two words; The first format opened must be the last format closed. Look at the Bold, Italic example carefully noting the order and placement of the two different formatting tags.

Create some text and try out the "Insert Special Item" pull down menu items on it. Some are more useful than others! Here is my opinion about them. Some of these are just stupid!laughhard.gif

Next Formatting: Color, Font (family), Size and Alignment

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 27 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Text Formatting: Color, Font (family), Size and Alignment

The "All formatting uses "tags" to tell the forum software where to apply the format or special item." applies equally to affecting these methods of changing these aspects of your text. The difference it that there is an additional bit of information needed. That extra info tells the forum software what font, color, size or alignment to use.

Creating larger text uses the "Size" tags:
CODE
[size] and [/size] plus the numbers 1 through 6
Creating colored text uses just about any color you can specify:
CODE
[color] and [/color] plus the "colors" panel drop down menu or a typed in color name (red, green, yellow, for example)
Creating a different font family uses:
CODE
[font] and [/font] and the name of some font family. If that family name is more than one word, use quotation marks to help the software no exactly what the name is; for example, use "Comic Sans MS" instead of Comic Sans. Otherwise, the software may look for a font called only "Comic" on the viewers system, or it might just pick the first of many fonts with "Comic" as the first of a multi-word name.

Alignment
of text and
other objects
uses:
CODE
[center] and [/center] or [right] and [/right]. The default alignment is left, so no [b]tags[/b] are required to set that. Note that on extremely wide screens/windows, anything aligned to the right may be missed by some viewers simply because it is not near the rest of the post. Centering things can sometimes cause the same problem in those cases, also. Use with discretion?

Next: Images

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 27 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Using Images
Images are a rather special case for many forums. We all know that images can consume enormous amounts of disk space. Bt we should remember that an image displayed on the interwebs need not normally be of printable quality. Specifically, an image made for web viewing should not normally be more than 72 dots per inch.

Although "Retinal" screens and even newer monitors can benefit from larger resolutions, those images still need large amounts of disk space. Even at forums that don't have to pay for the extra storage, they usually still have limits on how much dada they can send each month. Finally, even at a server with no limits, there is still time required to send bits through the "pipes!" The larger the file, the longer it will take. So, to help the forum and its viewers, keep any images you upload as small as possible. Thanks!

TS offers two different methods of inserting an image into a post:
1. Direct upload
Pros:
    Automatically reduces the image to a 'thumbnail' which is inserted into a post.
    Lets the viewer decide if they want to chance the time required to download/view the image.
    Allows fairly large images to be viewed (within limits, of course)
Cons:
    Sometimes makes it difficult to see a complicated image because it is so small.
    Limited formats allowed (.jpeg/.gif/.png?)
    Requires a second tab or page to view, possibly causing confusion for the viewer by not seeing the posting text along with the image.

2. Off-site storage
Pros:
    No use of forum disk space or bandwidth.
    No limit on image size or format.
    Keeps image in same page as the post.
Cons:
    May require excessive time to display.
    Excessively wide images (>900 pixels) can cause the appearance of the infamous horizontal scroll bar! What this does is also cause the post windows to widen and requires horizontal scrolling just to read most of the responses/posts in the thread. Be courteous to your readers. yes.gif

"OK! I get it! But how does one get an image on this forum, anyhow?!!" rant.gif

Patience! Now!!!

First an assumption: You have created the image you want to use! If you haven't done that, come back when you have. We'll wait...

Welcome back! Now the details on getting your treasure into a post so we can all enjoy it!Method 1: Direct uploading/Thumbnail Preview. Here is an image showing the area of the full Post editor that you will use.

Upload area of Posting entry screen

Step 1
Select a file to upload by clicking the "Choose file" button. You will then see a standard Navigation window which will let you navigate to the place where the file you wantis located. Select the file and click the blue "Choose" button on the Navigation window. That file name should now appear similarly to the image above. However, it is not yet uploaded, it is only chosen! To actually upload the file, click the "Upload" button! WOW.gif You should now see the files name appear as below.

Step 2
You can repeat Step 1 as often as required to upload additional images. Note that when a file is uploaded, its name disappears in the "Choose file" area. The "Attachments" drop down menu will list all the files you upload. It also shows the total uploads as a number. Your upload disk space remaining is also updated after each upload.

Step 3
When you are ready to place an image in your message, place your cursor in the location you want the image to appear. Now, click on the "Attachments"drop down menu.

Step 4
Your uploaded images will appear in that drop down menu/list. Select the image you want by placing your cursor on the icon with the small green plus sign or anywhere on the file name. Click once to confirm your selection.
Note: If you accidentally click the icon with the red "X", you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete that image/file.

That's it! Your thumbnail image will now be seen in your post!
Method 1: Off-site storageNo images this time. The windows you see will depend on where you upload your images and the apps you use to do that. Once you have the image uploaded to your space somewhere, the steps to place the image in your post are much shorter.
1. Place your cursor where you want the image to appear in the message editor.

2. Click the insert Image icon. (This will cause a small dialog window to appear)

3. Paste or write the URL for your image and click "OK."

Here is a simple image I have stored on Comcast:

This is nothing more that the url surrounded by the "img" tags which you should be able to 'design' on your own, by now. wink.gif

This is a "work in progress." Lists might be the next addition?

Please post or PM any constructive suggestions. If you find any errerz, they are awl dew too etheral netwerking problems.

Add any tips you want, let me know of details you think should be added/removed.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 28 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

List Formatting
Sometimes nothing can be so helpful as a list. I think I have a list of those times around here somewhere… Oh well, at least it's easy to make, if not keep a list!

The TS software provides two types of list creation:Numbered and UN-numbered. These replicate the Ordered and Unordered lists used in html. Of course, these "numbered" lists can use other characters like Roman Numerals, English letters (both Cases), etc. So, how do we do it?

On the right-hand side of the full editor, you will find two very small icons representing the two types of lists. One has tiny numbers while the other has only dots beginning each line.
When you are ready to type a list of things, your primary decision is to decide which type to use. If your list is a series of steps to trouble-shoot a problem or provide step-by-step instructions, the numbered list seems best. If you have some thoughts or suggestions in no particular order, the simpler, unordered list should work.

In either case, I suggest you create your list in some type of text or word processor before entering it in the full editor. You'll understand why when you start to create the list in the editor.
Step 1
If you need a numbered list, click on the icon/button with those tiny numbers. Surprise! You now are presented with a small dialog window! And there is only room for one item, at least the text asks for "a list item!" No plurals. Thinking.gif Where do all the other items go?! flail.gif

Step 2
Relax, enter your first item and click the "OK" button. Now you can see the beginning of your list, right? Well, no, there's just that same, exact, stupid, small dialog window again! Where's my first item?!!! rant.gif STOP! Re-read the first word of this paragraph. it's only a five-letter word… tongue.gif

Step 3
Now, enter your next list item. Now you can understand why you might want to created the list before using the editor, at least you can see the whole list, you can even copy and paste the items! clap.gif

Step 4
Repeat Step 3 until you have entered all your list items.

Step 5
Click the "OK" button one last time but without entering any text. This is the 'cue' to the software that you have completed the list of items.

Now you can see the fruit of your labors! Your list is magically inserted into the editor window! Congratulations! cheer.gif You can use the "Preview Post" to prove that the list is actually numbered correctly.

Take some time to look at what this whole operation inserted into the editor window. There are the standard opening and closing tags that are needed for every kind of formatting that we've covered. In this case (an ordered list) they are:
CODE
[list=1] and [/list]
But notice that each item also has a tag in front of it. But, perhaps unexpectedly, each one has a "*" instead of an actual number! Why does the display then have numbers?! Well, I can't reveal the exact technology details, they are secret. You'll simply have to settle for the fact that it happens. Perhaps, sometimes, the computer is smarter than we think? NAH! It's just the way the forum software "talks" to the server back at ASO. The computers back there 'see' the list tags, and the "=1" part, and know it's an ordered list. Since the value provided is a number, that's where the enumerating starts. Each "*" is converted to a consecutive number, starting at 1.
  1. Item One
  2. Item Two
  3. The last item in this list
Try creating a list and use "A" instead of "1" in the open ing tag. Now try "a". Yes, Virginia, you can actually type any tag and it's appropriate values, manually! After all, it's just text! Just like html! smile.gif I often find it faster to simply type the tags for formatting than to use the icons/buttons. And it's super simple to use an app that can expand a two or three letter combination into the various tags you might want!

So much for ordered lists. Unordered lists are even easier. All you need are the opening and closing tags.
CODE
[list] and [/list]
No extra values needed, not even those [*] markers, even though the software will add them! Just type an entry, as you did in Step 2, above, repeating that step until you have added all your items. That's it!

If you use the Unordered List icon/button in the Full Editor, you will get the "[*]" inserted in front of each list item. But you can delete that text. See the following two lists:
  • Item one in a "standard" list
  • Item two (A "standard" list will have 'bullet' points)
  • Item three (But you may not want them!)
  • Item four
In order to get rid of those 'bullet points,' just delete the "[*]" in each list item and you'll get:
    Item one in a "standard" list
    Item two (A "standard" list will have 'bullet' points)
    Item three (But you may not want them!)
    Item four (So I deleted the "[", "*" and "]" parts)
  • Item one in a "standard" list
  • Item two (A "standard" list will have 'bullet' points)
    Item three (But I wanted open circles!)
    ° Item four (So I typed them in as the first part of the item text)
    ° Of course, mixing these in a single list will make the indentation a little wonky!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 29 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

Quoting something is just as simple as the other formatting. The 'tags' are... wait for it... "quote!" as in:
CODE
[quote] and [/quote].
Simply put what you want to quote between the two tags. It can be anything, of course. It doesn't even have to be text from within TS. wink.gif And, if you'd like to give a little attribution to the author of the quotation, just add
CODE
="Author's name goes here" as in: [quote="My favorite author"]
It will then come out like this:
QUOTE("my favorite author")
To be or not too bee
If you want to quote the entire post of someone, just use the "Reply" button on each post. It usually helps to then delete the portions of that post (in the quoted 'reply') that may not be needed, just as you would in replying to a long email. wink.gifQuoting something is just as simple as the other formatting. The 'tags' are... wait for it... "quote!" as in:
CODE
[quote] and [/quote].
Simply put what you want to quote between the two tags. It can be anything, of course. It doesn't even have to be text from within TS. wink.gif And, if you'd like to give a little attribution to the author of the quotation, just add
CODE
="Author's name goes here" as in: [quote="My favorite author"]
It will then come out like this:
QUOTE("my favorite author")
To be or not too bee
If you want to quote the entire post of someone, just use the "Reply" button on each post. It usually helps to then delete the portions of that post (in the quoted 'reply') that may not be needed, just as you would in replying to a long email. ;)BTW, using that "reply" button will automatically take you to the Full Editor page. That's why it's so much faster to simply use the qoute 'tags' after copying what you want to quote and pasting it between the two tags. dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:45 AM