> Recent updates
Xairbusdriver
post Feb 2 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

You'll have to connect your iPhone to iTunes while connected to the interweb for the iPhone update. doh.gif
27' iMac stuff:<iTunes 9.0.3>

Install at your own risk. eek2.gif

Pictures at 10!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mrious_be
post Feb 4 2010, 05:40 AM
Post #2

Proud TS Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 437
My Mac(s): 12" iBook 1,2 Ghz, a big mac and a double cheese.

It's 10.40 now... where are those pictures? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Feb 4 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

It's 10.40 now... where are those pictures?
They're on the radio, well, they were at 10, too bad you didn't get to see the pictures they had... tears.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Feb 18 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

Hopefully fixes more security holes. <Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.45.2> dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Feb 22 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

<coconutBattery 2.6.6>
<OnyX 2.1.4>
<MacPilot 3.5.2>

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 9 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

<Cocktail 4.7.1 Snow Leopard>

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
RNKIII
post Mar 11 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #7

You don't need to be 'right' to be correct.

Member No.: 85
My Mac(s): Retina 5k 27

Safari 4.0.5 available on SU and Version Tracker...

What's new in this version:

Performance improvements for Top Sites
Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers

Bob K. rnkiii

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 17 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #8

Patience is for humans!

Brother printer/scanner driver updates via Software Updater or <Brother's site>.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 25 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #9

Patience is for humans!

New printer driver updates: <Cannon>

Also updates for their "Pro" apps: <Final Cut Pro 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Color 1.5.2, Compressor 3.5.2, and Cinema Tools 4.5.1.>

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Jack W
post Mar 25 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #10

" I'll Drink to That "

Member No.: 1,438

Hey, ABD, or whomever else,

Is there any way to just extract the driver for a specific Canon printer.

The whole download is 281MB long. A bit much!

- Jack

--------------------
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13 Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMachine / 1/2 Data,
Canon MG7520 all-in-1 Inkjet printer-scanner, HP LaserJet 1320 B/W printer

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Mar 25 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Patience is for humans!

Not that I know of. The manufacturer's site might be the best place to look for those.

Whatever you do, make an archive of the current drivers and any other printer specific software, before installing anything new...better safe than tearful!

You may have no choice except to download the whole file. Oonce the .dmg is mounted, you may get an Installer. In that case, you might be able to pick just the one(s) you need. In other downloads, I've seen dozens of files end up in the /Library/Printers/printerbrand folder. I usually gather up all the "wrong" models and put them in a new folder and then archive/compress it. Then, if you are really paranoid, put that on a CD/DVD and store it somewhere. Ether way, I delete the full sized files for printers I don't have.

There is also the possibility that the download will be a ".pkg" folder. In that case, you can open it and probably find a folder for your specific printer.

Perhaps you could start the download just before you retire for the night? dntknw.gif Or, ask around here for anyone else with your printer? yes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 6 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #12

Patience is for humans!

<1Password> Recommended
<ClickToFlash> Recommended
<iDefrag> Free demo
<Keyboard Maestro> Never used
<Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner> Never used
<Speed Download> Recommended

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 27 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #13

Patience is for humans!

<OnyX 2.1.5 B1> WARNING! This is a beta version. Archive your current version before downloading this one!
<Cocktail 4.7.4> Be sure to update the correct version!

As I noted in the OnyX info, saving/storing/archiving your current working version of any app before updating/upgrading may save you many frustrating minutes/hours/posts. I keep my archives until I've exercised the new version for several days/weeks (depending on how much I use it). "Better safe than frustrated!" yes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Apr 27 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #14

TS Maven

Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Transmit 4.0 is out today. $19 upgrade. Just downloaded and installed - it's one of my must-have apps and it has some neat new features (like providing for direct transfer via open/save dialogs from any application) smile.gif

http://panic.com/transmit/

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 29 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #15

Patience is for humans!

I may download this just to see what all the fuss is about. It is one of those freeware apps, right? dntknw.gif laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kbeartx
post Apr 29 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #16

TS greybeard flounder, musician, & nightowl

Group: Admin-Retired
Member No.: 5
My Mac(s): G5 Dual 2GHz, 3.5 Gb RAM, 750Gb Seagate, 150 Gb original HD, Samsung 21.6

On a whim, I clicked on Software Update today; it's been quite awhile since I updated anything except Firefox.

FWIW, I'm running 10.5.4 on a G5 for a number of raisins, including:

- it's very stable generally and almost never crashes or acts wonky

- in recent years I have adopted the attitude, 'if it's working well the way it is, don't mess with it without a very good reason'.

- I don't have a bootable OS on CD or DVD

- my system will not shut down or restart from the Finder [I have to hold down the power switch on the tower] - using this method, the Mac always boots smoothly back into the main drive, which has the OS, apps, and almost nothing else [about half full]

- b/c I can't reboot gracefully, I cannot verify the health of my redundant backups [clones of my boot drive created by Carbon Copy cloner on two partitions of my second large internal drive]

SU alerted me to an OS Combo Upgrade to 10.5.8, Quicktime 7.6.6, and iTunes 9.1.1.

I have steadfastly refused to upgrade iTunes from 8.0.1 b/c of all the bad stuff that's happened to many ppl who've upgraded past that version [as posted on Apple's iTunes User forums, mostly having to do with Podcasts and iPods, which I use extensively].

I wonder if it's 'safe' for me to perform these upgrades given my circumstances/symptoms/non-Intel Mac...anybunny with a similar machine [dual 2-GHz G5 desktop, 3.5 GB RAM, and shutdown/restart issues] have any empirical data relevant to my query?

Kb cool.gif

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Apr 29 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #17

TS Maven

My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Kenny, we were running 10.5.8 on a G5 SP 1.8GHz no problem. My sister has it now - and there have been no distress calls. wink.gif And I have a G4 Sawtooth with a 1GHz processor upgrade that is also running 10.5.8 with no issues whatsoever. It's a very stable release. I believe the QT has been upgraded, but I haven't upgraded iTunes because I haven't started it up lately. It's supposed to be going to a new home soon (somewhere in Texas!).

So how come you can't restart or shut down from the Finder? That's really weird...and sounds like there is something needing fixing.

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
kbeartx
post Apr 29 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #18

My Mac(s): G5 Dual 2GHz, 3.5 Gb RAM, 750Gb Seagate, 150 Gb original HD, Samsung 21.6

QUOTE(Paddy @ Apr 29 2010, 10:52 PM) *
So how come you can't restart or shut down from the Finder? That's really weird...and sounds like there is something needing fixing.

I agree. Very Weird. I have looked on Apple User Forums, here at TS, other Mac-centric sites, etc., etc. When I select shut down or restart from Finder menus, nothing happens; no stall, hang, crash, but no shutdown or restart.

Good news is the otherwise smooth-running of the system, and the fact I can restart successfully using the power button.

Confusing conundrum, no?

Kb cool.gif

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 30 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #19

Patience is for humans!

While I certainly agree that updating/upgrading/changing without a valid reason is never advisable, I guess I don't quite understand your listed decisions, bear. I know, that's not anything new, I have trouble understanding my own "decisions," sometimes! blush-anim-cl.gif

It seems to me that your last three reasons not to upgrade/update contradict the first two reasons. dntknw.gif Those last three 'reasons' seem pretty important points that need fairly quick reconciliation. The purchase of a Leopard (even a Tiger) install disk could positively affect all three of those.

I can imagine some kind of input manager trapping the Restart/Shutdown commands, but I don't actually know of any. The much more probable reason is a corruption in the OS. But, without an install disk, I'm not sure how you can rectify that. Nor does having any kind of clone/backup offer much hope of having an OS without that same problem (assuming it is in the OS).

However, have you tried holding the option key during a startup? I am under the impression that this causes the hardware to use the Startup Manager. That should allow you to choose from any recognized bootable volume. Of course, a "clone" will not guarantee having a good OS, it will simply have whatever was available when it was made. If the OS was bad at that time, it will still be so on the clone. sad.gif

Another alternative, which might help avoid any third-party software that could be affecting the Restart/Shutdown problem, is to hold the Shift key down during startup. "Safe Boot" will install only the minimum of add-ons (hopefully, only the Apple required items).

You may have already tried all the above. dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kbeartx
post Apr 30 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Thnask for the suggestions, Jim. I'll give 'em a try. It's been quit a while since I worked assiduously to resolve these probs, so I can't recall what I tried and the results, but I suspect that either they did not work or did not yield any useful info, so I resigned mice-elf to this weird sitch.

Kb cool.gif

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Apr 30 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #21

TS Maven

Whatever is going on, Kenny, apparently you're not alone:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=313720

Have you tried running Disk Utility? Do you have Disk Warrior? Have you tried creating a new user account to see if the problems persist?

More things to try - someone on the Apple forums was having the same problem with an Intel iMac and the suggestion was to reset the PMU. No PMU on a G5, but you could reset the SMC and the NVRAM and see if that helps:

The PMU reset button is located on your logic board, on G5's it's below the front CPU fan assembly, under the memory slots.

Unplug the computer's power cord and touch the metal case to ground yourself.

Slide the front fan assembly straight out towards you.

Press the PMU reset button ONCE!!! Pressing twice could damage logic board and/or battery.

Replace the front CPU fan assembly and the plastic shield.

Wait 10 seconds and plug the power cord back in.

Press the power-on button.

To reset the NVRAM

Boot holding "option + apple + o + f" until you get a white screen with black text. Upon releasing the keys you are presented with a command prompt.

1. type "reset-nvram" at prompt and press return (will say OK if successful)
2. type "reset-all" at prompt and press return (you will see a quick flash of commands and screen will blank)

Upon completion of step 2 the machine will reboot.

Set your time and preferences in System Preferences.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Apr 30 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #22

Patience is for humans!

Sometimes I have applied "percussive" maintenance to various articles with some success. I usually suggest using which ever hand/arm combo that you do not use for writing/eating. You can then try using the other pair which usually has slightly more "percussion." I'd also suggest a good, well-padded glove (for the selected hand). Detailed instructions follow (probably not as detailed as Paddy's: tease.gif

Facing the article that is malfunctioning/inoperative and at approximately the same level as that object, extend your arm in front of you so you can just touch the side of said object. Rotate the hand, as needed, to place as much surface area on the object. Now rotate the arm at an angle 90 away from the back of that hand. Usually 30 to 45 degrees is enough. Now, quickly move the arm in the opposite direction just taken but trying not to carry though with that motion more than a few degrees past the object. The intention is to apply a minimum amount of force to the object so that it is not moved from its location but that it is well aware of the energy applied. The object of this exercise is to inject some additional energy into the object in an attempt to dislodge any stray, broken or confused electrons.

If the above 'injection' does not work, you may use the other hand/arm pair. But you should be aware that this pair will usually provide more energy than required and is more difficult to judge. However, if too much 'maintenance' is applied, it will soon become evident when the object becomes multiple but smaller ones... rolleyes.gif

Good luck! These instructions will self destruct in 30 years! eek2.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post May 10 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #23

Patience is for humans!

<CarbonCopyCloner>

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jun 14 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #24

Patience is for humans!

<TinkerTool 4.1> Nice shareware utility.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jun 15 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #25

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

Actually, Tinker Tool is freeware. Tinker Tool System, its sibling, is shareware and was just updated.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 10:54 PM