Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Typical data usage
kimmer
post Jul 22 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Snowball

Group: Admin
Member No.: 995

I need some advice. What is the typical data usage for an iPhone? Is 2GB enough for two people?

I gather I'm not the typical user, as my norm has always been 3-5% of my old 1GB plan. I now have a young person on my plan and in his first 12 hours with the phone he used up all 2GB, and I got hit for the fee for an additional GB. Shockingly, he used up almost all of that additional 1GB within less than an hour. Apparently I wasn't clear in what he could do with the phone. rolleyes.gif Maybe I just don't understand 20-somethings. whistling.gif

I want this kid to have a phone. It was for him to use for texting, email, applying for jobs, and so that a prospective employer could reach him; but I now have NO CELL PHONE data for this billing cycle. I'm not sure if I want to add another GB or just do without my cell phone for the next two weeks.

Anyhow, those of you with young people on your plans: how much data do you have, and how do you handle the usage? What is typical data usage anyhow?

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNKIII
post Jul 22 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #2

You don't need to be 'right' to be correct.

Member No.: 85
My Mac(s): Retina 5k 27

"ol' foogy's tale'.... certainly/probably NOT applicable in your case, but here goes..

Have 2 iPhone 6s on our 5gb data plan and have not come close to complete/over usage... 1. Were both over a certain age and beyond games, tweets, constant messaging, etc. Our phones are set to use the non-wifi data for only a very limited set of apps and then only when we are driving/traveling... this does not preclude phone usage connections.

As I said initially, our case more than likely doesn't come close to your situation, but there are ways/methods of limiting 'extraneous' usage.

From your description, it appears that any additional availability of data will be used instantly.. Don't think I have a good workable solution for you... Maybe xABD or Patty may have more experience along those lines.

Good luck,

Bob K. rnkiii

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 22 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Proves my theory that one should never have children, only adopt a 35 or older adult, and even then, only if they are gainfully employed! I now see I need to add a clause to the effect that they must have their own mobile device and plan... Providing them your own plan is too much like co-signing their loan application! eek2.gif Sorry I couldn't help earlier. tease.gif

We have 3 devices (2 iPhones and 1 iPad [not mine, of course rolleyes.gif ]) on our plan, but it has a higher amount of data. It appears I generally use less than 0.5 GB a month this year. Although in May I somehow managed to use a whole 2GB!!! eek2.gif

The point is, I was able to login and found this path that you should also be able to use: Support->Wireless Account - myAT&T-> Billing & usage->Data usage->Turn data off or on for eligible devices At that point, there are instructions for turning data OFF for any device. I don't think the following link has any of my personal account access capabilities, please be gentle about changing my plan, if it does. nono.gif notworthy.gif

Unfortunately, it is only off until he next billing cycle. I really think you need to eat a good meal, get lots of rest and prepare several pots of tea. After that, call AT&T and tell them, nicely, that you will be moving to another carrier unless they provide you with a way to permanently limit the data on at least that young man's phone. That usually gets their attention and often some help. I think my wife should start a business to talk to AT&T "Customer Support" for others, at a small, hourly fee, of course...

Good luck!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 22 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Snowball

Thanks, Bob and xABD.

I started researching the typical data usage for 1 person and was surprised that 2-3GB is normal. eek2.gif

I just spent 30 minutes online with Verizon. I added, for one time only, an additional 2GB (of which the kid had used .82GB overnight!) Anyhow, I then changed to the family plan (which means I can snoop on him if I want - not interested, but it's an option). With the family plan I split the data usage and he'll have to live with 1GB of data every month. As I said, the purpose of this was to give him a phone for basic usage. Playing games, watching videos, and spending hours online will have to wait until he's somewhere with wi-fi. If he was my kid or grandkid, gainfully employed, or going to college, I'd consider more monthly data; but he's not and so Iím not. wink.gif

He did tell me that the 2.87GB he used overnight was in downloading apps and setting up his phone; and that was after it was hooked up to wi-fi for 6 hours. What in the world he's got on that phone is beyond me. My upgrade from my 5s to my 7 took a grand total of 2 hours.

At any rate, maybe I need to consider 4GB monthly. We'll see how this works.

Thanks for the help, and the sympathy, you two.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 22 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

hooked up to wi-fi for 6 hours
Hopefully not in one sitting! If so, perhaps that "provider" could put the youngin' on HIS data plan! laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 22 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 22 2017, 03:30 PM) *
hooked up to wi-fi for 6 hours
Hopefully not in one sitting! If so, perhaps that "provider" could put the youngin' on HIS data plan! laughhard.gif

He has a room in the back of another business, and that business has the slowest connection available; so he's at their mercy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 09:32 PM