IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Precious sound files survive since 1998...
Dreambird
post Jul 22 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Meet "The Boss" :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 10
My Mac(s): MacBook Pro Retina 15", OWC Firewire external 2TB and OS 10.11.6

... just to get dumped sometime recently.

These are quotes and bloopers from one of my all time favourite shows... Babylon 5 and they've lived on my puter since I had a PC back in 1998... successfully made it through many updates and moving around until sometime in the last 4 months or so some POS apple whatever decided... Nah, she doesn't want or need these anymore and boom they are GONE. Can't find them on the computer or Time Machine... no where. To say I am spitting furious would be a gross understatement and I'm sure since it's a hot day my neighbours have been enjoying my colourful language through the kitchen window! wallbash.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

I wouldn't if they are retreivable or not, I think I might still be able to get them on web... the fandom for show are a loyal bunch. Just want to know what would just TRASH anything I did not approve... or did it trick me!

--------------------
On permanent walk-about... ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNKIII
post Jul 22 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #2

You don't need to be 'right' to be correct.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 85
My Mac(s): Retina 5k 27

Do you have/use Timemachine for backup??
Maybe you could go back prior to the 4 month loss point and retrieve them??

Bob K. rnkiii

--------------------
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

+Quote Post
Dreambird
post Jul 22 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #3

So... well I am one lucky person. Devilish2.gif EasyFind didn't find them in a lengthy scan of Time Machine... how-som-ever... I DID! I just had to physically go snooping in there... I find that all is present until around mid Oct. 2016 and after that... *POOF** I cannot remember what I did that caused that unless it was that I moved them OUT of iTunes which wanted to take dominance over them period... an .aiff file opens with iTunes by default. I chose to use either Quicktime or VLC instead... set all those kind of files to open with QT by default and .wma files too... made playlists in VLC and saved them. IN A FOLDER OUTSIDE OF iTUNES. So where did the folder fulls of B5 .aiff files go and the two .wma got kicked out too even though they were never in iTunes and are set to open with FLIP by default.It's like an X-File! dntknw.gif fool.gif I'm just glad I found them, that Time Machine has some brains. It's really time to get an external just for special backups!So all i good now, I found them but having no good idea what caused the "boot" I don't know if it'll happen again...Yup Jack, thanks... I was typing as you were... that's how I found them and managed to nail down a time period when they disappeared.You know, they aren't top quality files that cost a bunch for CDs or DVDs but they are in that group that I suspect evreryon has... "precious and hard to replace" if at all. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreambird
post Jul 30 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Well... whatever, I still don't know what happened to kick the files out but they now still parked in the folder I put them in. So if they stay there... all is good. Probably I'll check on them now after every iTunes update. whistling.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Jul 30 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Admin2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 407

Glad you've recovered them smile.gif

Now they are safe, could you not back them up to another drive, or a CD or DVD?

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 09:34 PM