IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Solar Eclipse, From Oregon all the way to South Carolina!!
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 19 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #26

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Apparently, some folks have heard about the fog! If I lived in OR, I'd probably head east toward the desert. Fewer roads, however, as well as places to spend the night(s)! Also fewer large towns/cities. Oh well, we've got our camera, solar film filter, tent stakes to keep the tripod steady, etc., etc. we'll be heading north to Judy's Sister's house in Columbia, MO. thumbup.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gunug
post Aug 21 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #27

TS πάλινδρμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

Looking cloudy here in Larryville today! Maybe they will postpone the eclipse, but I'd be more upset if I was driving further north to see it!

Something I hadn't considered:

There are three broad issues that need to be addressed. First, the US electrical grid is meant to carry electricity to people, as opposed to absorbing electricity being generated by people. Second, the variable nature of solar and wind power means that the grid needs to be able to load balance to account for variable generation. Third, peak load power occurs in the early evening, after solar plants have begun to go offline (solar generates the most power at high noon, when the sun is directly overhead). The eclipse next week will disrupt solar power, and is considered an important test of how to manage the electrical grid in such a situation.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/254437-...tm_medium=image

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 21 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #28

Snowball

Member No.: 995

It's come and gone. Day started out foggy and overcast, fog broke, eclipse happened and it was cool to watch out my window. Fog rolled back in, but has now burned off. At the start of the eclipse, the birds got real quiet, and then right at the total point I suddenly heard the crows squawking like crazy, then total silence. It's still quiet.

Apparently while I slept the tourists poured in, and the roads heading out of town are packed, bumper to bumper, with cars. To make it worse, there is an accident on one road, and a suicide sad.gif on another, so traffic on those two roads is totally stopped. Glad Im home for today. I'm even passing up the chance to go get some plants from my frienda 2 hour drive to go 1/2 mile doesn't appeal. laugh.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
gunug
post Aug 22 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #29

TS πάλινδρμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

We were overcast in Larryville and all we saw was the dark and then the cicada's kicked in singing! I was going to St. Joe where there was a lawn party I was invited to but they were overburdened with clouds so I'm
glad not to have driven that far. It was hit-and-miss in the whole area. I was trying to watch it on the ABC affiliate in KC (9) and they were bumbling around not showing stuff (lots of video of people not seeing the eclipse) and were not showing the ABC national stream and had it blocked on the internet as well. I went in with Private Mode on Opera (VPN) and ABC streaming worked!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 23 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #30

Patience is for humans!

The temp chart (from my backyard weather station) on the day of the Eclipse indicated a significant drop around the time of Totality, much more than would be expected from the less than 50% partial event. The drop in temps was solely caused by the thunderstorm during the Eclipse. rolleyes.gif

Fortunately, we were some 250 miles north in the direct path of the Totality. Unfortunately, we were also in the path of Cirrus and scattered, low Cumulonimbus buildups, so the eclipse was intermittent. thumbdown.gif But the street lights did come on and the local cicada's began their evening "serenade". [lol]

Haven't even begun inspecting my images but some looked promising in the camera's display. smile.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Bruce_F
post Aug 24 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #31

Happy to be Retired!

Member No.: 31
My Mac(s): MacBook Pro, 17in. Mid 2009 Running OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite, Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, Memory: 8GB, Wireless: Time Capsule and AirPort Express.

I traveled 165 miles to my brother's home and then another 130 miles to see the total eclipse in Fossil Oregon. We weren't in the middle of the totality but we got a really nice view of the moon covering the sun for a brief time. The sky was very clear so we could see the sun shining on the horizon during totality.

I was going to upload a movie I took showing the moon's shadow coming towards our location but the message board says I'm not permitted to upload this type of file.

Anyway, my iPhone doesn't do what I got to see any justice. The only way to experience a total eclipse is to be there. coolio.gif

--------------------
-Bruce-

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 26 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #32

Patience is for humans!

Fortunately, the friends and family with us during this event more than made up for the dismal photographic opportunities. party.gif
Many reported the skies clearing during totality. What we experienced was thickening clouds with a minor break from totality until 20 minutes before the end. That is why there are so few images between the end of the totality and the nearly complete disappearance of the Moon. (Actually, the first and last images are the same! blush2.gif ) You can see the clouds effect in this small pano by the fuzzy edges of almost all the images, many during second and third contact also had rainbow type, color aberrations. That's why I converted this composite image to black & white.

My equipment was not 'pro' level, but my pre-eclipse practice sessions (during clear sky periods rolleyes.gif ) indicated the images would be much more successful. thumbdown.gif tears.gif
Attached File  2017_Eclipse_pano.jpg ( 38.8K ) Number of downloads: 11
Reason for edit: Reason for B & W image

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 26 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #33

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 26 2017, 01:17 PM) *
My equipment was not 'pro' level, but...

It's a very cool image representation.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:37 PM