Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vulkan Graphics Libraries coming to an Apple near you?, (I don't know much about this but it sounds interesting)
post Feb 26 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #1

TS πάλινδρóμος

Group: Members
Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

Not sure how this applies to most of us but perhaps "faster" graphics on existing Apple Hardware:

In collaboration with Valve, LunarG, and The Brenwill Workshop, this free open-source collection includes the full 1.0 release of the previously-commercial MoltenVK, a library for translating Vulkan API calls to Apple’s Metal 1 and 2 calls, as well LunarG’s new Vulkan SDK for macOS. Funding the costs of open-sourcing, Valve has been utilizing these tools on their applications, noting performance gains over native OpenGL drivers with Vulkan DOTA 2 on macOS as a production-load example.

Altogether, this forms the next step in Khronos’ Vulkan Portability Initiative, which was first announced at GDC 2017 as their “3D Portability Initiative,” and later refined as the “Vulkan Portability Initiative” last summer. Spurred by industry demand, Khronos is striving for a cross-platform API portability solution, where an appropriate subset of Vulkan can act as a ‘meta-API’-esque layer to map to DirectX 12 and Metal; the holy grail being that developers can craft a single Vulkan portable application or engine that can be seamlessly deployed across Vulkan, DX12, and Metal supporting platforms.

If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Feb 26 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 27" iMac (mid-2011), 10.12.6, Headless Mac mini, 10.11.6 running 24/7 to feed PWS

You mean you don't understand all that?! wallbash.gif Frankly, I'm surprised the Vucans haven't finished development of this before now! Afterall, all our base are belong to them!

where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2018 - 09:20 AM