> Where did all my Safari extensions gp?, New, unwanted experience today
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 6 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Spent all morning working on the outside of the house. After lunch I logged into the iMac, opened Safari and noticed 1PW was not behaving normally. Decided it may be a site needing all javascript or Flash, so I opened Safari Prefs, which is usually showing the Extensions panel.

Umhnm... it was completely empty! No extensions showing! Looked all over and found only one ".safariextz" file. And that was after I re-downloaded it from 1Password. wallbash.gif

The only thing I did differently yesterday was to install a new version of Cocktail (10.4). I saw another way to disable caches in Safari and enabled that. Cocktail then started displaying the spinning Pizza and I finally Force Quit it after about 5 minutes. ( I assume it may not take immediate effect and only sets a flag that Safari 'sees' the next time it runs. ) I've now disabled that in Cocktail. No other effects seen in Safari (nor Cocktail) yesterday.

I've found a few posts about this but they are several years old. I've reinstalled Adblock, Ghostery, 1Password and added DuckDuckGo (which I already had as my default search engine). I had a few more extensions, but seldom used them, except Click2Plugin and Click2Flash. I'll leave them un-installed for a while...

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jul 6 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #2

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

I, too, installed Cocktail 10.4 but I haven't used it. I know that you have a backup (maybe more than one). Reinstall ~/Library/Safari/Extensions. That ought to fix it.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 6 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

I've been looking at ~/Library/Safari/Extensions. There were several xyz-1,-2, etc. extensions in there. However, the plist maintains the non-numeric name for display in the pref.

At any rate, that plist contains every Safari extension ever created! Must be several hundred in there, vast majority of which I've never heard of! At the end of the file, however, was a list of the extensions that I had installed. Why they were not seen this earlier today, I have no idea. Safari 'forgot' where the plist was?! eek2.gif rolleyes.gif

I copied that plist to a folder on my Desktop and restarted Safari. Three of the previously installed extensions reappeared; Ultimate Status Bar 1.3, BetterSource 1.1, and Firebug Lite 1.2.0.16797 (so glad they use numbers, no telling what 'word' might appear!). Ghostery also appeared, not sure if it was the one I just installed or the one that was already in the plist.

1Password did not appear, even though I had downloaded and thought it had been installed twice this afternoon! On the other hand, when I double-clicked the ".sarafiextz" file the third time today, I got a dialog asking if I wanted to install the 4.6.4 (from the dev) or the 4.6.6 from Apple Extensions Gallery. Even though I selected the 4.6.4 version, the one that appears in the Extensions list is 4.6.6. wallbash.gif

The original plist had 8 extensions listed. The one just created when re-laucnhing Safari has but 5. The missing ones are: ClickToPlugin-2.safariextz, ClickToFlash-2.safariextz, AdBlock-3.safariextz. All those are actually in the plist file without the numeric suffix. I'm going to Quit Safari and then relaunch it and see if it reads the updated plist or not.

Later...
laughhard.gif Now there are only three extensions in the list. It's not nice to fool with 'Mother Safari' behind her back!

I just found a "Rest App Extension State" in the Debug menu. I'll try that first. Then maybe the Option-key-down-on-launch method. That sometimes forces the app to do some secondary file verifications... Don't think I've ever tried that with Safari, we'll see.

No change, still only three extensions showing out of the 10 in the plist (which shows it was updated just as I Quit Safari... Guess I'll try the 'Option-key-down-on-launch method'.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 6 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

Safari/Apple ignores the 'Option-key-down-on-launch method'.

OK, things are back to how they were yesterday morning. I never did try the restore from any backup; to much fun seeing what happens with various 'trouble-shooting' (some might say 'shooting-oneself-in-the-foot'!) steps.

The final fix was ro simply double-click each ".safarietxz" file that wasn't showing in the prefs. That, as usual, displays a dialog verifying that the user wants to install the extension and whether or not it is in the Extension Gallery. After agreeing to the request, the extension immediately is added to the pref display.

Each of the 'missing' extensions appears to be exactly the same file as the one already in the ~/Library/Safari/Extensions path. The files sizes are all exactly the same. But after following the 'double-click/accept-the-Apple-way' installing method, the extension is re-installed and its name gets a "-" plus a number suffix. The original extension remains in the path.

Still not understanding why this 'event' occurred, of course. wallbash.gif Nor am I sure even a restore from a backup would have been any more successful. If it ever happens again, remind me to do that, OK?! tease.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 6 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 6 2017, 01:23 PM) *
The only thing I did differently yesterday was to install a new version of Cocktail (10.4)...

I still have Cocktail 4.0 installed. Obviously I never use this app, and given your joyous adventure, I think I'll skip updating it. tongue.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 6 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

I would certainly not suggest opening that version in macOS 10.12 Sierra or even Yosemite! I doubt the app will even open and its icon probably has a 'Do Not Enter!" icon! There are differences in every OS and some of the defaults change with each one. Cocktail is basically a collection of snippets that run many built-in scripts in the OS. Many other functions are simply GUI interfaces to those 'defaults write' commands we use in Terminal. All those do is set variables that Apple hides or decides we shouldn't see them. Next time we have a rainy or super hot day, I'll probably try the disabling the Safari cache setting. I've never knowingly had a problem with it.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 6 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 6 2017, 07:59 PM) *
I would certainly not suggest opening that version in macOS 10.12 Sierra or even Yosemite!

No problem as I've already dumped it in the trash bin; and it didn't have the "this won't work icon" on it either.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 7 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #8

Patience is for humans!

and it didn't have the "this won't work icon" on it either
Are you sure that wasn't the little app with lots of alcoholic drink recipes? tease.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:26 AM