> I am but my files aren't, converted that is
Gregg
post Dec 28 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Formally Addicted to TS

Group: Members
Member No.: 161
My Mac(s): Mac Mini, Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.5

Well, here's the first of what promises to be many, many "help me" topics on the heels of my switch over to OSX.

This one is frustrating, because I did my homework. Before seriously considering the new purchase, I "made sure" that I would be able to open my AppleWorks files once I moved to X. I e-mailed WP SS and DB files to my son, he eventually got them open on his iMac with MS Office for Mac 2004 and Jaguar or Panther. Using an "extra" license for the same, and the same installation CD for crying out loud, I am unable to open my AW files!

Initially, my son only had version 11.2 as installed from the CD. He could not open the files. Once he upgraded to 11.5.3, he was able to open the very same files using Excel and Word. Furthermore, I took the same files, on a CD my son burned for me, to The Store and tried to find out if iWork would open them. (Numbers worked, Pages did not as I recall.) While at the store, I also was able to open the files using Office for Mac applications.

Great! All set, right? Wrong. Yes, I also upgraded O4M

Apple tech support told me today that it's a Microsoft issue, although the person I had on the phone did try to help. Microsoft Office for Mac support told me I needed to download a "converter" application, because O4M would not open AW files. That does not mesh with the experience recounted above. I am 99.9% sure that my son never downloaded such a converter program. I would also be surprised to find that a randomly selected computer at The Store coincidently had such a program installed on it.

I have found iWord and OneClickConvert online, but have not downloaded either one as yet. I have also upgraded O4M to version 11.3.9 upon finding out I was not totally updated. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar about 24 hours from now. I don't know what to think. I plan to take the CD with the files my son opened, and a Mac at The Store opened along with me, as well as my O4M installation CD and of course, the Mini.

Wish me luck, and if anyone has the sure fire solution all figured out, please enlighten me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Texas Mac Man
post Dec 28 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #2

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,642
My Mac(s): 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz, 13.3" MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.3, Canon MX892 Printer, Belkin UPS, iPad 2, iPhone 5C

Check out NeoOffice The freeware NeoOffice is equivalent to Microsoft Office. It can open Excel files, Word files & PowerPoint files. You can also create these types of files that can be opened by PC users. It should also open AppleWorks files.

--------------------
Cheers, Tom

Mac PRAM, NVRAM, CUDA/PMU & Battery Tutorial
https://sites.google.com/site/macpram/mac-p...attery-tutorial

+Quote Post
Dick Miller
post Dec 28 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Apple Fan since 1979

Member No.: 98
My Mac(s): 27" IMac Core I7 OS 10.6.5

Make sure you are running AW 6.2.7. I have no problem opening AW files with 10.5.1

--------------------
27" Imac core I7 3.4 GHZ
8gb ram
Nvidia GTX 680 mx 2gb

24" IMac Core 2 Duo 3.06 Ghz
2gb ram / 500gb HD
Nvidia 8800 cs 512 mb

IMac G5 20" 2.1 Ghz

+Quote Post
bil207
post Dec 28 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Super Duper Poster

Member No.: 224

This topic on the Apple discussion board may help.

"How can I open Appleworks files in Leopard?"

--------------------
Bill

+Quote Post
Paddy
post Dec 28 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #5

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

Have you installed AppleWorks? According to Bill's link, it should work in Leopard. HOWEVER - I couldn't get it to install in Leopard on my MacBook Pro from the CD - it came up with a complaint about it being a Classic application and Leopard not supporting that! So, I just dragged it over from the Applications folder on my G5 and it worked fine. Opened Appleworks files fine.

I have Word 10.1.4 at the moment, and it opens Appleworks files without a hitch on the G5 - I'm using OS 10.4.11 though, not Leopard. AW converters come with Word, BTW.

BUT...on the MacBook Pro in Word I got "Error opening file" - the same darn file that AW (which isn't supposed to work on Leopard) opens fine. But no amount of fiddling would get that file to open in Word. Maybe a more recent version of Word can do it, but my current version cannot - in Leopard. I will have a more current version just after New Years.

As for NeoOffice, I got 105 pages (!) of garbage when I opened a .cwk file with that - on the G5. Don't imagine it will be any more successful on the MacBook Pro.

So...anyone else got some of the same variables to play with? (ie: one system running Leopard and one running Tiger, both with Word and Appleworks?)

Don't know what to think here, Gregg, other than to recommend saving everything you absolutely must keep in either .rtf or as .doc files in Appleworks and then (after making sure they do indeed open in Word in Leopard) moving them over.

Oh - one other little mystery - I CAN open the Appleworks files in Pages on my MBP running Leopard. It's Pages 2.02 though - there is a more recent version.

Very weird... Thinking.gif

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson

+Quote Post
Mayo
post Dec 28 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #6

Beyond help

Member No.: 42
My Mac(s): 24" 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac, 15" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS 32GB, Airport Extreme Base Station, Airport Express, 80GB iPod 5G Video, 80GB iPod Classic, HP Photosmart 8450, Apple LaserWriter Select 360, Epson Perfection 1260 flatbed scanner, Nikon D200, Nikon Coolpix 8400, Nikon Coolscan V film scanner.

What I find myself wondering is why didn't Apple include AppleWorks translators with Pages? It seems very strange to orphan AW documents that otherwise work fine with the most recent version of AppleWorks... And one AW document I have that did work with Pages lost its formatting.

In spite of these problems I decided to move to Pages because it is apparent that AppleWorks is dead as far as Apple is concerned, and it doesn't make sense to me to keep using an application that is no longer supported by Apple.

+Quote Post
Gregg
post Dec 28 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Formally Addicted to TS

QUOTE(Dick Miller @ Dec 28 2007, 07:55 PM) *
Make sure you are running AW 6.2.7. I have no problem opening AW files with 10.5.1

That is, using AW 6.2.7 I assume. See below...

QUOTE(Paddy @ Dec 28 2007, 09:13 PM) *
1) Have you installed AppleWorks? According to Bill's link, it should work in Leopard.

2) I have Word 10.1.4 at the moment, and it opens Appleworks files without a hitch on the G5 - I'm using OS 10.4.11 though, not Leopard. AW converters come with Word, BTW.

3) Don't know what to think here, Gregg, other than to recommend saving everything you absolutely must keep in either .rtf or as .doc files in Appleworks and then (after making sure they do indeed open in Word in Leopard) moving them over.

4) Oh - one other little mystery - I CAN open the Appleworks files in Pages on my MBP running Leopard. It's Pages 2.02 though - there is a more recent version.

5) Very weird...

1) No. The install disc disappeared when my son's laptop was stolen. The old G3 is monitorless these days. Thus, I don't have a way to check the version of AW without going to alot of trouble. It is an absolute ordeal to fish the cords, cables, etc. in and around our rolltop computer desk.

2) So maybe I should downgrade O4M. Or, perhaps I should get a new AW6 disc and open the files, then SaveAs Word or Excel files. Unfortunately, I need a more immediate solution than that. I was able to open an AW SS with Numbers and save it. But I cannot open that file with Excel, nor can I SaveAs .xls like I could in the more advanced OS on my old G3. Ditto for an AW WP file in Pages and the .doc extension.

3) See no.1 - and obviously, I'd rather not have to do that anyway.

4) Spotlight told me to open my .cwk files (AW SS) with Keynote! Of course, Keynote produced the following error message: Are you kiddin' me?

5) Indeed.

And thanks, Bill, for finding that forum thread. It was interesting reading, but I don't have AW...

--------------------
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers Cupertino can have better TV reception.

+Quote Post
Gregg
post Dec 29 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #8

Formally Addicted to TS

Memory Restored
Son #1 still had the AW files I had sent him to test. Turns out he cannot open a .cwk file with O4M. But, the files that I had saved "as" Word or Excel '98 worked with O4M. He no longer has AW. His iBook was stolen, and replaced with an iMac, which did not come with AW.

Solution Found
Son #2 is home from college and has AW and O4M loaded on his iBook. So, the conversion to Word or Excel '98 can be done. It's not the ideal; opening every file and saving it in the other format, but it works.

How?
Jump drive. Glad I bought one. smile.gif

--------------------
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers Cupertino can have better TV reception.

+Quote Post
Gregg
post Dec 30 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #9

Formally Addicted to TS

Success!!

It didn't come easily. I had a problem with the file transfer from the iBook to the flash drive to the Mini. On the third attempt, I realized what the problem was... Even though the screen indicated the transfer to/from the flash drive was complete, it was still working. That is, the progress bar finished, the window closed... Done. Right? Nope! The light in the flash drive was still blinking. Not noticing that fact the first two times, I attempted to eject the flash drive before it was ready. This seems to have corrupted the Excel files, but not the Word files. dntknw.gif

Anyway, lesson learned: Don't believe the progress bar. Wait for the light on the jump drive to stop blinking before attempting to eject it. thumbup.gif

So far, all of the files I've attempted to open after being more observant and patient with the transfer have worked. I will have formatting issues in the spreadsheets, but the formulas made the switch intact. clap.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Dec 31 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #10

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Did the mini not come with a FW cable? That should be much faster than any USB 2.0 thumbdrive...dntknw.gif Just start up the iBook in Taget mode (hold the "t" key down on its restart).

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Gregg
post Dec 31 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Formally Addicted to TS

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Dec 31 2007, 05:47 PM) *
Did the mini not come with a FW cable? That should be much faster than any USB 2.0 thumbdrive...dntknw.gif Just start up the iBook in Taget mode (hold the "t" key down on its restart).

No FW cable in the box.
That's all there is to "file sharing" in OSX? ....starting up holding down a key??? jawdrop.gif

I'm now having great fun reformatting text, numbers, formulas, etc. in my spreadsheets. I'm not doing it for archived files unless that becomes necessary (on a file by file basis) in the future. multitask.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Dec 31 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #12

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

That's all there is to "file sharing" in OSX? ....starting up holding down a key???
I think this Target Mode operation has been available on any machine that had FW ports, regardless of the OS on it. It basically turns that machine into an exteranl drive, no actual OS needed on that machine. It just shows up as a 'volume' on the other machine and 'file sharing' is actually a 'drag 'n drop' operation.

But 'real' file sharing is also quite easy in X, just designate what files you want to share on your HD. The whole thing being the easiest choice, but you can also limit it to specific folders. Likewise, using the "Public" folder allows others to see/share anything you put in it, even if you have file sharing turned OFF (I think). Not really different than in 9, just different UI windows, and it can still be confusing, IMHO.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:39 PM