Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great list of Mac resolutions for 2009 from Chris Breen
Paddy
post Dec 31 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #1

TS Maven

Group: Admin
Member No.: 133
My Mac(s): 2.7GHz 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 4GHz late-2014 27" iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and various other Apple thingies belonging to household members

http://www.macworld.com/article/137841/200...esolutions.html

biggrin.gif

I particularly like #9. whistling.gif

--------------------
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." ~Doug Larson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Dec 31 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

I preferred #8! From perusing some of Apple's Support documents, I've learned and confirmed the following:

Disk Utility only checks and repairs Permissions of files (including apps) that were installed using Apple's package file system, ".pkg" extension. Part of that system writes a ".bom" file in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Those files, among other things, contains the correct Permissions for every file in the original install package. That's what DU uses to verify or repair Permissions. Since apps/files installed by any other method will not create a '.bom' file, DU will never check those files. DU cannot, even if you want it to, correct third-party installed files Permissions. It simply doesn't know what they should be. Therefore, unless you suspect that an Apple app/file is causing problems, repairing Permissions is somewhat of a waste of time. Of course, the real problem may be that some third-party operation actually changed the Permissions of an Apple file. In that case, repairing Permissions is obviously called for.

I'm not saying that we should never bother Repairing Permissions. Only that this task is of completely no use for anything other than files installed using Apples package system. "Drag and Drop", third-party installers, archived files, etc. just don't get checked by DU. That's probably why Apple makes it so easy to use this portion of DU, most of the other stuff means booting from another drive, first. dntknw.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:48 AM