Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troubles with an iMac, Can't get started
Highmac
post Jul 10 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Admin2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 407

It will get as far as a white screen with Apple logo and the cog which disappear after about a minute. I've been going through the procedures offered in this MacWorld article.

It had been playing up a bit lately but always restarted. Then it just would not go beyond a white screen, occasionally turning blue if it was left for some time.

iMac (27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD)
I've not been able to get into Safe or Recovery but later restarts have got the start-up chime. I've tried most of the suggestions without luck. This list shows the later efforts made during today:

Using wired keyboard and mouse. All other peripherals disconnected.
  • Recovery mode - starts, Apple appears, cog revolves for less than minute, then either screen turns blue, or computer just turns off.
  • Safe mode - Apple, cog run for about minute, then disappear; white screen.
  • Safe-verbose mode - Runs tests then defaults to white screen. Then nothing. Finally force power down.
  • Check file system - (fsck -fy) “The volume Big Mac appears to be OK” - “The volume was modified”.
  • Rerun Check File System - “The volume Big Mac appears to be OK”
  • Reboot - Apple logo and cog. After about 1 min, graphics quit - screen stays white; after about 10 mins, nothing. So power down.
  • Reset the NVRAM - Get start-up chime, twice, released keys and got a third chime. Apple logo and cog for about a minute then white screen. Give it a few minutes, power down.
  • Try normal restart (power button only) - chime; logo and cog for about minute, then white screen. Few minutes on, shut down…
  • Boot up in Safe Mode - Loads of white on black text, then reverts to white screen. Unfortunately no way saving text.
  • Try checking File System again - “The volume Big Mac appears to be OK” - “The volume was modified”. Rerun and get “The volume Big Mac appears to be OK”.
  • Exit - “removed 1 orphaned/unlinked files and 1 directories” (sic).
  • Typed exit and it added more text, then reverted to white screen.
  • Restart - chime, logo and cog… two minutes then just white screen.
  • Tried to reset SMC but don’t think I got that right!
  • Try Safe mode again - logo, cog - progress bar this time, but it shuts about one-third in. Wait and after a couple of minutes screen turns to blue weave pattern.
  • Try Recovery - Chime, logo, cog revolves for about a minute, then white screen. So no Disk Utility.
While this is not exhaustive it is exhausting... rolleyes.gif

Any help/advice gratefully received.

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 10 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.5

I fear it is a Motherboard (Mac or Graphics) problem. :sad: It doesn't sound like the drive, except the bit about the Recovery process also dying. But even that would eventually need the Motherboard hardware to work. dntknw.gif Probably need a Apple-qualified tech to run some more detailed Start up tests.

If you managed to create a USB System installer, you might try that. It will be very slow, of course.

I had to replace the graphics on my Mid-2011 27" model about 18 months ago. My graphics "displays" were much more 'exciting' than yours but just as frustrating. wallbash.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 10 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Highmac @ Jul 10 2017, 10:40 AM) *
It will get as far as a white screen with Apple logo and the cog which disappear after about a minute.
iMac (27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD)

I’m not thrilled to read that you have the same model I do. wink.gif

My previous iMac had these same symptoms, and it was the graphics card. Replacement was only with a used/refurbed card from a non-apple retailer. The cost was outrageous, especially since the repair guy said it would likely only give me another year with my old iMac—and that is why I bought the same model you have. I'm not looking forward to having replace my current iMac.

--------------------
One Widow's Journey

My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.11.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 10 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Patience is for humans!

'm not looking forward to having replace my current iMac.
Oh, but then (Late 2017) we'll again be able to replace, upgrade our own RAM!! clap.gif Maybe the one in 2019 will have a replaceable graphics card... rolleyes.gif

Just another guess on your problem, Neil; make sure your iMac is connected to the mains. Little details like that have a tendency to be over-looked. Thinking.gif scram.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 10 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #5

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 10 2017, 12:54 PM) *
'm not looking forward to having replace my current iMac.
Oh, but then (Late 2017) we'll again be able to replace, upgrade our own RAM!! clap.gif Maybe the one in 2019 will have a replaceable graphics card... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, right. Are you gonna send me the $$$ for this new gadget? tease.gif

--------------------
One Widow's Journey

My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.11.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Jul 11 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #6

Admin2

Member No.: 407

Thanks for your input - muchly appreciated smile.gif

I've just emailed our friendly Apple repair expert to see if we can drop both machines in later this week.

We were due to visit to get a new battery for our 2010 MBP, so that will save us a double trip.

There's usually a silver lining... laugh.gif

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 11 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #7

Patience is for humans!

There's usually a silver lining...
Unfortunately, you usually have a dark cloud inside that lining... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jul 11 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #8

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 11 2017, 10:24 AM) *
There's usually a silver lining...
Unfortunately, you usually have a dark cloud inside that lining... rolleyes.gif

God created everything and rested on the seventh day. On the eighth day, he said, "OK, Murphy, you can take over now." Thinking.gif

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:44 AM