Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Equifax Breach
kimmer
post Sep 13 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Snowball

Group: Admin
Member No.: 995

Interesting, but disconcerting, article at TidBITS.

http://tidbits.com/article/17457

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 14 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #2

Patience is for humans!

Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Neither my wife nor me were affected by this hack, at least according to the "check" provided by Equifax, the people responsible for letting it happen. rolleyes.gif We will both be taking up their "offer" of monitoring, although providing them with even that much information may lead to more direct consequences to us! Can we even trust them to know for sure who was affected? wallbash.gif

As the article states, any info we ever post is susceptible to harvesting... even after we're gone!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 14 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Jane

Group: Members
Member No.: 979
My Mac(s): 3 Macs, two 27 inchers running Yosemite 10.10.5, and one 24 inch 10.6.8.

These 3 companies are an abomination sometimes.
My friends who work in banks say they are very difficult to deal with.

Then I found out why, we bought a house for one of our kids, and had to jump thru hoops to remove the 3 credit freezes that we had put on years ago.
We did that for protection, as outlined in Kiplinger magazine, thinking we would never have to apply for mortgages, jobs, or anything which would need the freeze removed.

So trying to get them removed, was almost a 2 week ordeal, dealing with their customer service was a hoot, they knew less about their company procedure than our Yellow Lab.
Finally I got thru to somebody with a brain, and they took care of the freeze removal within an hour.

And the interesting thing, was one of their employees told me stories about how often and how they screw up constantly.
These 3 companies have way way WAY too much power over the consumer.

So now we know, Equifax screwed up big time! How long will it be for the other 2 to make a mess?

Thanks for the TidBits link, I missed it somehow.

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Sep 16 2017, 05:58 AM
Post #4

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

For more information, read Equifax Breach: Two Executives Step Down as Investigation Continues My information was not affected, at least according to Equifax's website.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 16 2017, 06:17 AM
Post #5

Jane

My Mac(s): 3 Macs, two 27 inchers running Yosemite 10.10.5, and one 24 inch 10.6.8.

I sure wish I had remembered the stuff that this employee said, it was rather shocking.
He made good money, so wasn't about to resign, but OMG, what he told me was pretty amazing.
And some of the employees who I had talked with earlier about this freeze lifting glitch, were really seriously brain-dead.

The control that these 3 companies have over consumer information connected with banks and credit reporting, is damn scary!
Who oversees them? Not the government? Not an agency with their eyes open? Nobody.....

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 16 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

"Two Executives Step Down as Investigation Continues"

Sure, and they'll have enough profit from the stock they sold just a few days before this hack (of course, they will claim no advance knowledge rolleyes.gif ) was finally announced that they won't be needing to apply for any loans... lower ranking employees will simply be fired.

"My information was not affected"
I've not heard of anyone, yet, who has. Maybe we just need to get out more... wink.gif

At my age, I've paid off all debts years ago and the CC gets paid by my bank automatically every month. Of course, at my age, and retired, most places probably wouldn't consider loaning me money for over 6 months! laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Sep 16 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Sep 16 2017, 06:37 AM) *
"My information was not affected"
I've not heard of anyone, yet, who has. Maybe we just need to get out more... wink.gif

You now know someone whose info was compromised. mad.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 16 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Jane

I followed the instructions below and have heard nothing.
How long does it take to be notified?
If they bother to notify us?

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/credit/T0...do.html?rid=EML
This is the link I used.

"Check with Equifax. At www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/, click on “Check Potential Impact,” then enter your last name and the final six digits of your Social Security number. Equifax will supply a message noting whether it believes your personal information was compromised. Even if your information wasn’t compromised, you’ll have the option of signing up for a free year of credit monitoring and identity theft protection services from Equifax’s TrustedID Premier. (Equifax has also set up a call center, at 866-447-7559, but going online is a better bet. When we tried calling the number, we got a brief busy signal, then the call disconnected.)"

One of my friends said DONT sign up with their credit monitoring service, it signs you up for other stuff without your permission, from what he said. I cant remember the details, I just bypassed that.

I forgot to say, just take a look at their stock price drop, slid from about 145 to about 93, talk about confidence, UGH. Think of the data they have and the havoc this could wreak, stupid company, way way too much control.

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 16 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #9

Patience is for humans!

1. The message as to wether your data has been compromised comes up almost immediately after you enter those two items.

2. If you choose to take the monitoring, you will simply get an email telling you when to return to fill out the form. Seems to be a couple of days after you request the monitoring.

3. Once you've filled out the form (step 2 above) you will have to wait for a second email, that may give you a temporary ID and have go back to complete the process. I've not got that second email since signing up Thursday. Not really surprising as they are swamped with people contacting, complaining, etc. on top of their normal business operations. Which includes finding replacements for the guys who left! laughhard.gif

As far as signing up, it's totally up to you. Your friend may need to do some more recent searching. When the hack was first announced, Equifax tried to keep it's "arbitration clause" in place. A few politicians suggested they tale a long walk on a short gang plank. What's left of "management" (and likely their legal team) decided that maybe they should be more accommodating and they removed those kinds of things. Just because your data wasn't (according to Equifax) doesn't mean they don't already have 99% of anything you could tell them by registering, so it seems a very small additional risk, in my humble opinion.

The key lesson in this fiasco is to continually monitor your bank account(s), credit card(s), and Credit Bureaus.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 16 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Jane

This is the best, just what you say,
The key lesson in this fiasco is to continually monitor your bank account(s), credit card(s), and Credit Bureaus.
Im not sure how to quote your important sentence here.

Your bank has the best software for this, forget Equifax, they mess everything up, and the bank wont. Hopefully
Reason for edit: Click the Edit button and you will see. ;)

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 16 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Patience is for humans!

All TS Forum 'tags' use "[" and "]" on either end of the 'tag'. Most 'tags' have an Opening and Closing part, the Closing one is exactly like the Opening, except the first two characters are "[/". It basically nothing more than the old version of html; different tag enclosures "<" & ">" and "[" & "]", they even use the same "closing" method "/". There is a discussion in the Pinned thread at the top of the Tech Forum that illustrates the basics: Please read: Using the formatting functions

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 16 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Patience is for humans!

Your bank has the best software for this, forget Equifax, they mess everything up, and the bank wont.
Not sure what "this" is referring to. That is, your bank has "the best software for" what? dntknw.gif

If you apply for a loan from your bank and you don't have cash or assets enough for collateral, they'll want you to sign a promissory note. Part of the process includes verifying your trustworthiness and credit history/rating. Your bank will simply use their contract with the three large credit reporting companies; Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. There are others, of course. Not sure how or who should "forget" Equifax. Rather, we should remember them and the others and check their records for discrepancies. But you will not be contacting them as a "customer", their customers are banks and businesses. Just like Facebook/Google/Twit/social media, you are not a "customer" you are the credit rating company's "product".

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 17 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #13

Jane

First, I was in a rush, I know I should have used the code.

Second, Our bank for example, uses what I called the "best software for account monitoring" and the optional and various alerts that they let you choose. Most banks do this, and there are other options too which somewhat cover what these credit monitoring apps which are independent of the banks and you have to pay for.
Bank stuff is free. Ive used both.

Wish we could 'forget Equifax' and just use our banks, in other words, to let them do the credit rating for their customers.

Im certainly not an expert in any of this stuff, but applying for the mortgage for the house we bought for our daughter, was quite a whacky ordeal trying to disable the Freezes that we earlier had put on the 3 credit rating companies just for protection.
Sure was a time consuming ordeal and it was all their fault, and I did get an apology, for the delay and the multiple phone calls. By snail mail.
Yeah, I dont like being a 'product' especially with those 3.

+Quote Post
chriskleeman
post Sep 17 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #14

Ahh, just a Woodchuck

Member No.: 1,157
My Mac(s): MBP 2.7 GHz, 512 GB, 16 GB RAM, G4 1.45 Ghz DA, Superdrive, Combodrive, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.4.11, Epson Artisan 810, 27" iMac 8GB RAM

According to Equifax, my information may have been compromised. So I took the protection, no return email as of yet, which has been now over 4 days, so we'll see. Funny that my wife's information was not affected according to Equifax, and our credit has been reported together for decades as far as I know.

The best part of what Equifax is offering is that all three credit card bureaus will be monitored. I am concerned that the credit freeze may, in the near term future, cause a glitch in applying for a new HELOC, but I think that any bank or CU that we work with should be able to negotiate those waters without too much hassle. We'll see.

CK wallbash.gif Thinking.gif whistling.gif

--------------------
Just a dumb guitar player...
My Website

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Sep 17 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #15

Jane

I was thinking about re-establishing our credit freeze too.
But getting it off was totally crazy and very time consuming.
No notice yet of either me or my husband being compromised.

So guess I will just leave it as is till this entire mess gets sorted out.

Im hoping that some regulations are put onto these 3 companies so they cant get away with this kind of trouble they deal out.
Asked my bank manager what she thought, OMG,,,,,, got another earful about these 3 companies.

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Sep 17 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #16

Patience is for humans!

I think the key to releasing a 'credit freeze' is to do it before some one contacts the ratings companies. Once that happens, you're already behind the ball; there's been a flag raised and they are extra vigilant and even watching for "someone" to try to UNfreeze things. wallbash.gif Most CC companies will deny your card when you travel several hundred miles from where you normally use it if you don't call them ahead of time.

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:27 PM