Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apple won't support AdBlock
jchuzi
post Jul 15 2017, 05:58 AM
Post #1

TS Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

This article, Apple no longer accepting VPN-based ad blockers to App Stores implies that Apple will no longer support apps like AdBlock. This is over my head. Can someone explain what it means?

--------------------
Jon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jchuzi
post Jul 15 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #2

TS Addict

Member No.: 1,731
My Mac(s): OS 10.12.6, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

There is a good reply to this question in this FTM thread that I had started.

--------------------
Jon

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 15 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

I confused, even with your linked site, as to whether Apple will block access if the user has a VPN. The brand I am using has said it now has an Ad-blocking feature that works on Windows, but a Mac version is in the works. I'm confused by the implication that access via the App Store app can/may be blocked if one's IP address doesn't match one collected previously by Apple?

What part of Apple's business is ad-blocking affecting? Especially in its own App Store app? I assume Apple, like other web site 'stores' monitors what we have bought through the App Store and makes suggestions based on that data. I fail to understand, however, how that data or their suggestions will be affected by a VPN. After all, they should be making decisions on what to possibly offer/suggest, based on our Apple ID info, not any IP address.

I'm still not understanding what the problem is or how it is affected by a VPN or even an Ad-Blocker (whether it's an App or a Safari Extension). dntknw.gif blush-anim-cl.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
tacit
post Jul 17 2017, 01:49 AM
Post #4

TS Addict

Member No.: 64
My Mac(s): MacBook Pro (non-Retina), iMac 21.5"

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 15 2017, 08:18 PM) *
I'm still not understanding what the problem is or how it is affected by a VPN or even an Ad-Blocker (whether it's an App or a Safari Extension). dntknw.gif blush-anim-cl.gif

Basically, in a nutshell:

The AdBlocker Safari extension is not affected. Only the AdBlocker application is.

The AdBlocker application blocks ads in everything. All your Web browsers, games, Internet-enabled programs of every kind (like instant messenger apps and so on)--it strips out ads in everything.

It does this by modifying your computer's Internet connection so that absolutely everything you do that uses the Internet--all your browsing, all your games, all your Facebook messages, all your email, all your instant messenger messages, everything--runs through AdBlock's servers. AdBlock inspects all your Internet traffic looking for ads to strip out. Essentially, it turns on a VPN that reroutes your Internet traffic through AdBlock servers.

That means that potentially AdBlock gets a record of all your emails, every Web site you visit, every Internet game you play, the whole kaboodle.

--------------------
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

+Quote Post
Highmac
post Jul 17 2017, 03:54 AM
Post #5

Admin2

Member No.: 407

Thank you, Tacit. I have genuine admiration for your gift in taking a topic and making it crystal clear for techie dimbos like me thumbup.gif

--------------------
Neil
My Macs: MBP 15in, 10.6.8; 27in mid-2011 iMac 3.1 GHz i5, OS10.8.5, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD. Oh, and a G3 DV-SE in the cupboard behind me...

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 17 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #6

Patience is for humans!

Thanks! While I'm fine with the 'ad-blocking' part, I don't want/like having yet another group with access to that much of my interweb usage. Those groups include, but are not limited to, my ISP, computer OS, email servers... practically any and every one. BTW, I also do not post my activities on the local bulletin boards at the grocery store. wallbash.gif rolleyes.gif

I'm now using a VPN service but I am concerned about the fact that i have no real control over what they do with my internet content. Perhaps I should re-read the link Jon gave and do some more searching as I am not certain what "support" means as far as Apple is concerned or how they are blocking the apps use. OK, the text of the first link/post pretty well sums up what Apple is "un"-supporting the app (and any others like it); they won't be in the App Store. whoosh.gif blush-anim-cl.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Jul 17 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #7

Jane

Member No.: 979
My Mac(s): 3 Macs, two 27 inchers running Yosemite 10.10.5, and one 24 inch 10.6.8.

Yes, thank you, Tacit. I use an adblocker on Safari and I get a 'notice' that I cannot read the content of some news sites, if I continue to use it.
Im wondering if this is the same thing that the info is about, as I do get some ads on some sites.
Its confusing for someone like me, who is not too technical.

I just get sick of intrusive ads, but it the Television ads which we cannot get rid of, well my husband has found a good solution, shuts the darn thing off.

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Jul 17 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Patience is for humans!

Many sites use methods to check if you have an ad-blocker extension running. Probably just a bit of javascript that 'sees' that a test fails. That is not what this thread is about. It is simply noting that Apple will not allow an application that is actually a Virtual Private Network to be posted at their Apple App Store.

As I said above, blocking ads is OK, as simply a user and not owning a commercial or ad-displaying site. And I can understand sites wanting to receive help in paying the bills.

In my opinion, Apple is simply saying they are not against ads in any particular site, so they will not make it easy to get this kind of app. These apps (or the VPNs) are capable of gathering a lot more info than they probably mention in their Privacy and/or TOS pages. You may have no idea what they are gathering nor what they may do with the information. Using a VPN is a serious decision and all the consequences should be considered. In another of my opinions (no extra charge!), I can imagine this developer simply playing on the users dislike of ads in order to collect much more info than simply ad-clicks/hits or 'eyeballs'. On the other hand, I don't trust much of anything on the web, anyway... TS excepted, of course! laughhard.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Jul 17 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Snowball

Member No.: 995

QUOTE(tacit @ Jul 16 2017, 11:49 PM) *
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Jul 15 2017, 08:18 PM) *

Basically, in a nutshell:

Thanks for this simple explanation. I had installed the AdBlock APP on my iPad and I wasn't aware it was such a snoopy little app. It's now gone. Unfortunately, I'll now surf the web less on my iPad as I can't stand the ads that take over everything. Too bad we can't install browser extensions on iPad/iPhone the same way we can on the iMac. Life would be a lot nicer. wink.gif

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Jul 18 2017, 06:02 AM
Post #10

Jane

My Mac(s): 3 Macs, two 27 inchers running Yosemite 10.10.5, and one 24 inch 10.6.8.

OK, I understand it now.
Thanks.
I do pay for my favorite weather sites, they are worth it.
I dont mind paying for something worthwhile, but for the news, nahhhhh

I dont need a VPN. If I want to look up something about guns or hunting, I just use DuckDuckGo.
The ad-blocker works fine on the news sites, and there is always a different site to catch the news we want to read anyway.

I actually dont use the iPhone as much as the computers to surf the web.

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jul 18 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #11

TS πάλινδρμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I let Opera do the VPN and blocking and I got that directly from them; works great and is less filling! Well, it didn't cost anything and isn't anything like SAFARI which is a good thing as far a I'm concerned!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post
jcarter
post Jul 18 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #12

Jane

I have Opera but never used it much, so I followed your instructions and set up the ad blocking, and will try the VPN.
Thanks for the idea, I never thought of Opera.

+Quote Post
gunug
post Jul 18 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #13

TS πάλινδρμος

Member No.: 659
My Mac(s): MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Macbook Pro Mid-2011, eMAC's, G4-800MHz, G3, Aluminum Powerbook G4, Powerbook 5300

I only use Opera on all of my computers now; the one's at work are stuck with using Chrome (for official apps and email)!

--------------------
If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:39 PM