> Another major "Cloud" storage problem
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 22 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Patience is for humans!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 234
My Mac(s): 10.12.6

Most of us know that the "cloud" is not as reliably accessible as a (working) hard drive on your Desktop. But that hard drive is rarely ever picked up by the manufacturer and removed from your location! "Oh, the doorbell rang this morning and a couple of guys in uniforms said the had legal paperwork to come inside the house and take those hard drives you bought last Spring. There wasn't anything important on them, was there?"

OK, that's just an analogy, but Joe Kissel probably would probably not be any less upset than what Crashan is doing Oct 2018!

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY
where a chicken can cross the road
without having its motives questioned.

Signals, holiday 2014
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 23 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #2

Snowball

Member No.: 995

I've never considered an offsite backup, I figured my external drives were good enough. The idea of law enforcement showing up at my door with a warrant has never gone through my brain before I read your comment, and I've never worried about losing everything in a fire either. Maybe I should. I could easily replace everything but my pictures. Is it worth it to pay for an off site backup? I'll have to think about that.

Does anyone else here use an off site backup? If so, what are your thoughts?

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 23 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Patience is for humans!

I've never worried about losing everything in a fire [flood, sinkhole, asteroid or even a huge EMP from our nearest star] either
...until it happens. eek2.gif

Of course, the vast majority of "consumers" rarely have anything that can't be replaced on their computers. If you do, or if you or running any kind of business, that's when I think off-site storage becomes important. Even then, an extra HD or two, in a bank lock box, could suffice. Thinking.gif

I think the point of the TidBITS story is that you can't really trust many corporations to put the customer ahead of profits. Despite the US Supreme Courts opinion, a corporation does not have real human virtues... "rights" maybe, morals, definitely not. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 23 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #4

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 23 2017, 10:35 AM) *
Even then, an extra HD or two, in a bank lock box, could suffice. Thinking.gif

Bank lock box? What be that? LOL There isn't one of those to be found in this area. Seriously, none of the banks and/or credit unions offer them.

--------------------
My Macs: iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 10.12.6; rMBPro; default browser: Safari; default email: browser for gmail

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 23 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Patience is for humans!

Bank lock box? ... Seriously, none of the banks and/or credit unions offer them.
Well, we've been telling you to move back to civilization! Maybe you could rent some space in the jail? Thinking.gif Assuming you have a jail... If you live in an extremely low-crime area, just put the cycling drive in your garage, you keep your bicycle in there, anyway, right?! whoosh.gif Or put it in a Zip-Lock bag and dig a hole in the back yard (preferably not in a low spot).

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
Jack W
post Aug 31 2017, 06:12 AM
Post #6

" I'll Drink to That "

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438

I use a safe deposit box for my backup discs.

FWIW,
Jack

--------------------
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13 Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMachine / 1/2 Data,
Canon MG7520 all-in-1 Inkjet printer-scanner, HP LaserJet 1320 B/W printer

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 31 2017, 07:28 AM
Post #7

Patience is for humans!

Unfortunately, kimmer lives in a rather rural area and the only "banks" are along a river. I understand one of the financial institutions in Portland, OR sends a Pony Express rider to her town once a week. However, the trip is pretty tough for disk drives, even if the heads are parked! tease.gif And the restore speed can take a while.

If she lived a bit farther south, there is a jet-pump, high speed boat that delivers mail along a white-water river...

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 31 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 31 2017, 05:28 AM) *
Unfortunately, kimmer lives in a rather rural area and the only "banks" are along a river. I understand one of the financial institutions in Portland, OR sends a Pony Express rider to her town once a week. However, the trip is pretty tough for disk drives, even if the heads are parked! tease.gif And the restore speed can take a while.

If she lived a bit farther south, there is a jet-pump, high speed boat that delivers mail along a white-water river...

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 31 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Patience is for humans!

Speaking of "Cloud Storage 'problems'"...
    Dropbox is dropping Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion(10.8)
As Adam Engst says, "Wait if you want, but don't wait too long." If you can't upgrade your hardware because you have to be able to use Rosetta, just remember that hardware eventually wears out, also. It may get very expensive relying on software that has probably been retired and the data may not be usable in any newer hardware, even if you find an app that can import it from some kind of backup. You do have that data backed up, right?! eek2.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post
kimmer
post Aug 31 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #10

Snowball

QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Aug 31 2017, 02:38 PM) *
Speaking of "Cloud Storage 'problems'"...
    Dropbox is dropping Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion(10.8)
As Adam Engst says, "Wait if you want, but don't wait too long." If you can't upgrade your hardware because you have to be able to use Rosetta, just remember that hardware eventually wears out, also. It may get very expensive relying on software that has probably been retired and the data may not be usable in any newer hardware, even if you find an app that can import it from some kind of backup. You do have that data backed up, right?! eek2.gif

I've been considering either a new iMac or iPad, and Im seriously thinking new iMac for everyday, and keeping this one as is and just using it to run some older apps that will no longer run under High Noon, tongue.gif or whatever the next OS is called. I wouldn't need it hooked up the web, so it could just sit and be happy. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xairbusdriver
post Aug 31 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Patience is for humans!

so it could just sit and be happy
That's what they always say... rolleyes.gif

I'm just sitting around, myself. Just got back from visiting the backyard of the Daughter of our best friend. She'd heard that the Daughters house was flooding and wanted to have some pictures. The Daughter and family are in GA, the friend (and Judy) are in FL.

Fortunately, the water has not been even close to entering the house, at least not through the doors/windows. The ditch behind their house is still at least 5 feet below the patio level, which is actually dry around the doors. clap.gif

Unfortunately, some in the neighborhood are saying their commodes are over flowing as the sewers back up! At least the rain is slackening a bit, but the ground is soaked with the 3.5 inches in the last 18 hrs. Whatever rain we get from now on will be looking for a ditch/creek/river and I think the house is very close to a flood plain border. I just hope the water knows not to cross that border!!! eek2.gif

--------------------
I DREAM OF A SOCIETY

Signals, holiday 2014

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 02:38 PM